Thursday, September 10, 2009

Delightful Dining-rooms Do Double Duty

Ah yes, alliteration ~ love it! It comes from reading so much, which is why I love this idea. I have a formal dining room in my current home. Since we are on the market, it is still a formal dining room. Everybody wants a formal dining room, but I never use mine except to walk through from the kitchen to the stairs or front door. We used to host the holidays at my house when the kids were little, so it came in handy then, but now it's really a wasted room.



onsugar.com

I have vowed that when we do eventually move, if there is a formal dining room in the house we wind up moving to, it will become a library/reading room/{board} game room and spot where my hubby can sit with his work laptop and not have to worry about clearing it away until he leaves for work the next morning. {The same fate awaits the dreaded formal living room}.



Found on Cote de Texas



This one also incorporated wine storage. You might never have to leave this room!




Design2Share

Love the library ladder here.


NY Social Diary

As well as incorporating pictures, artwork or mirrors hanging right on the shelving.


NY Social Diary


My Home Ideas

I really like that it seems like the space is being put to good use in these pictures.


I would most likely do a table off-center with just a couple of chairs ~ good for laptop work, playing a board game or cards or having a snack, with more comfortable chairs for reading in another area of the room. A butterfly extension table {stores the extension within itself} would work well for a plan of this kind. This way if I do host a dinner and need seating for 6 or 8, I can open it up and just bring in some extra seating.


Gee, I could have this whole house planned out before we even find it!

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

I feel the same about my formal dining room. It never gets used. The only thing worth keeping in there right now is my china curio. Once I replace the furniture in my living room, I plan to move the living room sofa into the dining room. Therefore transforming it from a never used DR to a sitting/reading room.

Jane @ FindingFabulous said...

Oh how cool!! Why not multi-task in a dining room! Isn't it all about being surrounded by the things you love, and of course...staying a while!

Tammy@InStitches said...

I love that idea. I don't have a formal DR in this house and I don't miss it one bit.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hi Stephanie! I forgot that it also holds my husband's work pants {draped over the chair so they don't get wrinkled} before they go up to the closet. It's a shame that it's such a wasted space ~ for us. Plus, when you downsize you really need to use each room to the fullest.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I really like the idea of doing this, Jane! Plus I already have bookcases {and the books}. I think this type of arrangement would work better for the way we live.

Thanks, Tammy! I don't think I'd miss it either. Right now it's just one more room I have to vacuum and dust.

Let it Shine said...

Wow, those photos are absolutely gorgeous!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kathy, thanks for coming by & always leaving such great comments. These are beautiful pics, I can see why they are inspirations.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this and could totally do this in my current dining room. I'm feeling inspired to do some rearranging now. Thanks for sharing!

Verdigris Vie said...

i have been looking into these double duty dining rooms myself lately - and the more Isee the more I like!!

I am kind of glad my house is a bit of blank canvas these days...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

@Let It Shine ~ Well, if you're going to be inspired, they might as well be gorgeous pictures! I hope I can incorporate a little bit of what I like in each into my own room.

Thank you, Rhoda, and I'm delighted that you've stopped by my little blog here! I'll need these pics for hubby ~ he needs visuals.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I think that's the good thing about this type of set up, Beth, that you can do it without any kind of major change. Especially if you already have bookcases.

It just makes sense, Vitania, right? I hate that there are these two rooms in my house that are hardly used and yet both of them {the living room, too} are the first rooms people see when they come in the house.

Maria Killam said...

Kathy it's good that you have it all planned out!! Then you'll have exactly what you want :) And I agree with you about dining rooms, a study is an excellent plan!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kathy,
I've often said I'd love to have a dining room will walls full of great books...you and I are on the same wavelength, for sure! Only thing I woud add is it needs a great fireplace, too. :-) Love all your inspiration pics!
Susan

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Maria! I can see us using the room on a daily basis this way.

Absolutely, Susan, a fireplace would be the icing on the cake!

Anonymous said...

We have changed our formal dining room into a dining-sitting-library by purchasing a round table that swivels from coffee table height to dining height. We have also purchased four club chairs that allow for easy conversation. The room also has a beautiful, very tall library wall unit. The problem we are having is deciding what kind of lamps to purchase. We need them both for reading and for ambient lighting as the chandelier does not provide the right kind of light. Do you have any suggestions? We like traditional and eclectic approaches to furnishing rooms.

Thanks for your help.

Judy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...