Monday, November 15, 2010

The Evolution of a Vignette

Tabletop vignettes are not always my favorite thing to put together.  I actually have to be "in the mood" to do this at home otherwise I am just never satisfied with how it looks.  Even when I am in the mood, I find that I am constantly standing back and looking, then tweaking until finally, I say to myself, "just leave it alone now".


I put together the vignette on this table I have in my dining room {it is really a sofa table, but I needed something in here and it works} kind of spur of the moment, although I knew I needed to do something with it for weeks now.  It actually came about by accident. 
I had moved the pot of faux paperwhites {or daffodils, depending on the season and how you want to see them} onto the surface portion of my dining room hutch.  I had also placed a new cloche that I had gotten there as well, after tying a wired ribbon bow around the handle.  This was really just a putting-it-there-until-I-decide-what-to-do-with-it placing, but I liked it and thought it would work well within a tabletop vignette. 


While the cloche that I had originally gotten the idea to do this vignette was too big for this table, this cloche and wood cheese board {that I painted with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint} was a better size for this table.  You may recall that I found this cloche and the base at Goodwill recently.


The scale wasn't working for me this way.  I had the height of the lamps on either side, then the gradual decline in size with the paperwhites.  The cloche was not matching up to that so I had to find something to raise it up.  I found this pedestal that I had glued together and painted black in a closet.  I wasn't very keen on this pedestal that I had made {round wood disc and candlestick from Michaels, painted and hot glued together}, because the candlestick portion that comprises the stand is a bit thin and wobbly for my liking.  However, it seemed to work here and felt stable, so I was comfortable using it.

Much better! The needed height was achieved.  I wasn't "feeling" a ribbon tied around this cloche, but felt it needed something.  I had gotten a few tags {I believe this one came from Debra at Common Ground when I got my special necklace} and put it on the cloche.  Although it is filled with wine corks and not a fern, I like it.  

Here you can see a full view with the pedestal giving the proper height to the cloche now.  I also re-introduced one of my PB copies ~ the framed corks that I had in here originally.  Still ~ something missing . . .

I added the second one in as well.


Yes, I like that much better!  Don't you think so?


 I think I will leave this one alone now!  At least until I start decorating for Christmas!
Some night shots, if you can bear with me.  I'm trying to practice since Daylight Savings Time and the only natural light I will have is on weekends now.







Okay, thank you for being patient with me!  No flash and just these lamps for light AND they are not blurry.  That is good for me!

Linking up with:

Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Vignette Friday at Color Outside The Lines

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for fresh flowers from Sunflowerguy.com going on now through Friday, November 19th! 

20 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Absolutely lovely, Kathy!! I REALLY like your lamps!!!

xxoo

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Kathy, I would say all your trials and errors paid off because your table top looks picture perfect! Love your pedestal that you came up with. I too have to be in the right frame of mind to do tabletop vignettes.

Looks like I stopped by just in time to sign up for your giveaway! I am going over now to check it out!
Donna

LouLou said...

Beautiful as always. I especially love the cloche with the wine corks... Looks great!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love it. I love your cloche of course, and filled with the corks is just so cute. I really like it raised on the pedestal too. Your lamps, the paperwhites and the cutelittle pics along with the bunny dish are just perfect. I think the whole thing is so pretty. Thanks so much for linking to the party. Also, can't wait to see your Bunny pics. Hugs, Marty

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I know what you mean. Tablescapes don't really come easy for me either. Your lamps are beautiful. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous vignette, I love how you explained the evolution of the arrangement.

One Cheap B*tch said...

It looks great! I love how you displayed the corks under the cloche. It looks perfect!

Jeanine

Recaptured Charm said...

HA! I do the exact same thing. I put it together and then keep moving it around over and over. Then when I think I have it right, I keep walking by it, even for days, and change it again. I'd say you got it right though! Looks marvelous! I love the corks in cloche.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Looks perfect Kathy! I too have to be 'in the mood' to create a table setting, if not...it just isn't happening!

Unknown said...

I do the same thing to. Then when i post i take a second look and redo it again.... lol. Looks good i think i have those lamps...

Unknown said...

Well, I think it looks beautiful. Love the lamps and the wine corks. You can leave it alone and wait for Christmas.
Brooke

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Looks Fabulous! Perfectly balanced! Love the cloche with the wine corks!

Lou Cinda :)

Blondie's Journal said...

This is really pretty, Kathy! I love your lamps and elevating the cloche was a great idea!!

Hope you are having a wonderful week!

XO,
Jane

The Tuscan Home said...

I have those lamps...I purchased them at HomeGoods...love them! Love the final look, just lovely! =) ~Liz

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
You are being too hard on yourself. Your table looks wonderful and I love the winecorks under the cloche!
I do the same thing when I arrange a vingette. I just can't seem to leave it alone, in fact I have trouble sitting still in certain rooms in my home because I can't stop looking at something that needs rearranged!! LOL!

Love your lamps, heck I love everything!

hugs
Sissie

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Looks good. I like the cloche elevated. And I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who must "be in the mood", or "must keep tweaking". And I hate that the weekend is the only time now to take photos in natural light. Oh well, only 6 more months until we get light in the early evening again. Either that, or quit my job. Which I would love to do, just can't afford it. lol. Anyhoo, thanks for sharing your vignette. And thanks for stopping by to look at mine and for leaving me a comment.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! I love, love those lamps.

Sandra said...

I think your vignette looks great...I am the same way about coming up with displays except I usually pile on too much and spend the next couple of days removing things.

Scrap for Joy said...

I wish that I could come and be a fly on the wall...or a mouse in a chair...or a...oh, you get the picture Kathy...and watch you work. You are the queen of repurposing and I love your vignettes. Thanks for all of the inspiration you provide!!
xoxo
Joyce

Unknown said...

Kathy, I love your vignette, the cloche is so unique with the wine corks, tooo cute. Great lamps. Thanks for your wonderful comments, I am so flattered you would want me to do a tutorial, I will try to put one together. I never really though anyone would be interested. I'll try to get something together tomorrow for a tutorial. Have a blessed week.
Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...