Monday, October 14, 2013

Nightstand Makeover

2013 09 30_2679

I found this wood nightstand at an estate sale and paid a bit more than I normally would have ($25.00), but I was desperate to get some new furniture pieces in my booth, and I haven’t had any luck with a) finding pieces at yard sales or b) finding reasonably priced pieces at yard sales this past month.

2013 09 28_2685

It has a door that goes on the bottom section but it was off.  Luckily, it was with the nightstand but I won’t be putting it back on.  I have another project in mind for that.  I used this opportunity to try some CeCe Caldwell paint.  There is a stockist where I have my booth so it was convenient, too.  I decided to go with Vintage White and Beckley Coal.

2013 09 28_2684

This will also give me a chance to see if the Vintage White might be the white  I’m looking for to do my guest room headboard and armoire.  I started out by painting the nightstand with the Beckley Coal.

SONY DSC

It looks like a big lump of coal in this picture!  Then I added Vintage White stripes to the sides, masking them off with some blue painter’s tape.  On top I added a bee and crown stencil I got from Artistic Stencils on Etsy.

SONY DSC

Finally, to fill the shelf spaces I used two baskets I had here sitting in the garage doing nothing.  I gave them a quick brushing with the Vintage White and added these two numbered fabric strips.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I liked the coverage of the CeCe Caldwell paint, but I think since I used the Annie Sloan paints first {in chalk paints} I’m used to it.  I’d have to do a few more projects before I decide if I like it better and use some colors other than just black and white. 

SONY DSC

I didn’t hate it, so that’s something.  I did not like the CeCe Caldwell Soft Wax.  I felt that it went on unevenly and I went over several spots a few times. I do prefer the Annie Sloan Clear Wax and will probably go back to that once I use up what I’ve got in the CeCe Caldwell wax.

SONY DSC

I have hopes that the Vintage White will work for me in the guest bedroom but I’m going to have to actually put it on one of the pieces to see.  I’ll try that next week on the headboard and do a little “before” and “after”.  It seems to be somewhere between the Annie Sloan Pure White and Old White.

2013 09 30_2680

This is off to the booth and, hopefully, a new home!

Linking up with

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life

Fall Into Fall at DIY by Design

36 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

This is a cute little piece Kathy.
I love the stencil. As for chalk paint,I am currently using American Paints Chalk paint (because there is a dealer in the shop that carries it). I like it better than CeCe's but not as much as ASCP.
I think your little stand will sell fast.

You are right about finding affordable pieces at the yard sales and thrifts...prices seem to be going up even if they are in bad shape!

hugs
Sissie

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Adorable! I love every detail, and this reminds me so much of you too. What a fabulous transformation!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It turned out great. I love the stripes on the sides.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Cute cute cute. I love it. You have such a talent for figuring out what to do with a piece. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Okio B Designs said...

That came out great! I'll bet someone snatches that up pretty quickly. Haven't heard of CeCe Caldwell paints but always willing to try something new!

Jeanine

Betty said...

That is so cute. I will have to find me one now to fix up.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It came out really cute. Clever idea!

Cat-arzyna said...

Well done!
I love this stencil, and the numbers on the baskets too :) Hugs

Donna Wilkes said...

Yes, good solid furniture pieces seem to have disappeared around here or too expensive to makeover and resell. The table turned out very chic in its black and white. Thank you for the honest review of the paint.

{oc cottage} said...

love it!!!

m ^..^

thepaintedapron.com said...

That is gorgeous! I love the queen bee stencil, the stripes, the color, the baskets! Yes, everything! You will sell that in a heartbeat!
Jenna

Decor To Adore said...

What a wonderful makeover! I have not heard of this paint, it looks wonderful.

20 North Ora said...

/What a cute makeover! That is really a wonderful piece.

Judy

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

what a cute piece - love how you kept the door off and added baskets!

Junkchiccottage said...

Kathy,
This piece is so pretty. I love it. What a great transformation. Just beautiful.
Kris

Celestina Marie said...

Fabulous Kathy~~ You took a nothing piece and gave it a great look. I love the stencil. I've found a French stencil designer on etsy. Have you tried there for stencils? All permissible to sell on items created too.

This one won't last long in your booth.
Hugs

chateau chic said...

FABULOUS makeover, Kathy!! Wow, you really breathed new life into that piece.
Mary Alice

Cynthia said...

Kathy this turned out great. Love the stencil. Thanks for the Etsy shop name, I am sure I will buy a stencil from them down the road.

Cynthia

Karen @ A Stylish Interior said...

OMG Kathy! That is stunning and I bet it sells in a flash! I MUST have that stencil too! Hope you'll share this project on Friday! It's so stylish! LOL!
Happy Monday!
Karen

NanaDiana said...

That is a really cute post, Kathy. I have heard other reviews of people that like AS better than Caldwell's chalk paint. Glad to know- so I will stick to the ASloan for my projects. xo Diana

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Very pretty, Kathy. I love that stencil. I haven't had much luck finding furniture, either, so I have lots of smalls with nothing to display them on!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wonderful job! So much detail, I know what you mean, sometimes I get desperate for booth fillers and have to pay more than I want! You did a great job stenciling. I just use minwax paste for my clear waxing? I just know that will be a great seller

Carol

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is a fabulous transformation! I love it! The color combination is great, the stencil and lines are fantastic! The baskets just set it off! I know it will blow out of your booth!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Looks great Kathy...love the bee stencil!

Anonymous said...

What a transformation...just beeutiful. I would snatch this up in a heartbeat if I saw it in a store.

Marsha said...

What a pretty night stand! You had a great idea to make it over in such a creative way. It's super interesting now!

Unknown said...

Wow, What a transformation. I wouldn't have thought I would like the little stand but you made it soo cute. love the stencil.
Faye @ The Shabby Cottage

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I would've passed the original piece up, but you did a fantastic job of making a crappy piece of furniture into a darling, incredibly cute piece!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Hi, Kathy. I really like how the table turned out! Very cute with the stencil and baskets. I've wondered about those paints so it was nice to hear your opinion. Have a great week! ~ Jamie

farmhouse-story said...

adorable cute, kathy! love the bee stencil--gotta check the etsy store out--thanks for sharing:)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love that piece!...great job and the stencil came out so beautiful!...

Stitchfork said...

love! love! love!

This N That said...

Good job..Love the stripes

Becca Bertotti said...

Seriously, you have such an "eye" for bringing pieces to life, Kathy! I love the colors and stencil you chose (I need to pay that etsy store a visit) and the added baskets are the perfect touch too!

Little Miss Maggie said...

This came out so adorable. I love everything about it. It's original and different.

DIYbyDesign said...

Kathy I love everything about this nightstand. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...