Monday, October 7, 2013

A Novel Kindle Cover

SONY DSC

I had what I thought was a flash of genius the other day.  I haven’t bothered to research this project to see if it has been done before {it probably has}.  My husband has informed me “they” already make these.  Can I tell you, he is a joy to create around. I already made a Kindle cover/sleeve here and I love it. 

SONY DSC

I was thinking of something a little different for this one though and started playing around with some things I had at home.  An old book ~ maybe one you’ve found at a yard sale or estate sale, preferably one that is falling apart; some quilted fabric or fabric that you can sandwich some batting between.  Other options could be a potholder, old quilt, anything like that.  You’ll also need a button or something to use as a closure.

SONY DSC

I started out with this old book I got at a yard sale and I cut the book part out.  I am not suggesting you cut a perfectly good book out of its cover; there are plenty of books out there just falling apart and this is a good way to give them a new life.  I am saving the book itself to use with others like it for book bundles.

SONY DSC

I chose this wallpaper sample called La Belle Maison that Brewster Home Fashions sent me because I also have a toile fabric that will go close enough with it for the inside.  I Mod Podged the paper to the outside of the book.

SONY DSC

While that dried I got my fabric and batting together and, using the measurements of my Kindle and the inside area, cut it out and sewed it together.  I used the toile on the side that you will see and a scrap of Osnaberg fabric for the interior.  I used hot glue to adhere it to the inside back cover.

SONY DSC

For the other side, I made a second, smaller piece into a pocket to hold a pen/pencil and a small pad of paper. 

SONY DSC

This is for when you finish the book on your Kindle and all those recommendations pop up.  If I like a book that may be a new to me author, I like to write down their name if I have enjoyed the book.  I figured this would be convenient to do that and, plus, I felt something needed to be on the other side. 

SONY DSC

Once I had the inside assembled I needed to add something that could work as a closure for it.  I decided to use this pretty heart shaped button.

SONY DSC

On the back another simpler button actually has the elastic tied into the holes and is hot glued in place.

SONY DSC

All set and ready to go!  I think these would make great gift ideas, too.

17 comments:

Betty said...

I love what you did. It looks so pretty. Now I wished I had a kindle.

stefanie said...

sooo pretty!

Okio B Designs said...

Very pretty and a neat idea to boot! I don't have a Kindle or iPad but eventually we'll get one or the other, and I'll need you to make one for me. ;)

Jeanine

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It turned out great, Kathy! I'm glad to read in the comments that I'm not the only old-fashioned girl who doesn't have one of those electronic devices, lol. If I ever get one, it will for sure get a pretty cover.

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

This is beautiful, Kathy. I love toile and I love my kindle. :)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I love it!!! I love toile! And you did not spend 35 to 60 dollars!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love it! What a great idea.

This N That said...

Yup.."They" do make them but they don't look like yours..Very pretty Kathy..

Ellen, the Bluestocking Belle said...

Holy cow! I love these! Knocks my sock off, and they are WAY better than my generic Kindle cover.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! I love your idea. I haven't seen pretty covers like yours- the book is such a clever idea!

Celestina Marie said...

What a great idea and so creative Kathy. My Kindle has a leather generic cover. Your creation is so much nicer and decorative.
Love it!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's pretty! Love the toile!

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

I love this! You are brilliant! How have you been?

20 North Ora said...

What a great idea using the old book for backing. Your cover turned out really cute. I love toile!!

Judy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Great idea Kathy! and it is kind of like reading a book lol!

You commented on the blender pen, I find I have to go over the graphics a couple times to get a good solid graphic. If you have a blender pen, email me and I will tell you what it is filled with so you can fill it over and over again for pennies. I don't want to say anything on my blog since I don't want to get sued lol

Carol

Maria Elena said...

What a beautiful idea! Love the cover!

Debbiedoos said...

Those are awesome Kathy! Very pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...