Friday, February 26, 2010

I Need Some Privacy

In redoing my living room I had gotten some new drapes from Ballard Designs {on sale $59.00 a panel}.   One of the treatments I removed from the window was cafe-style curtains that I used on the lower half of the windows.  These are very long windows and just perfect for people to look into from the street.

IMG_4644_2272

So, I’m not comfortable just leaving them open like this.  I still had some of this fabric from the ottoman I made here.  Plus, I kept the tension rods that I had originally used in this window. 

fabric.p.kaufman.aviarytoileebony

I had just enough, in fact, to use it at the windows as an under-treatment to the panels.  These are a 3-window unit.  Each window measures 24 inches wide.   I didn’t want to go the whole way down, so I measured about halfway down ~ 31 inches long.  {Pardon the glare and my filthy windows}.

IMG_4990_2495

I cut the fabric, adding a couple of inches all the way around for the seams.  I ironed down the seams on all four sides.  I then used my Stitch Witchery iron on hem tape to secure the seams.  I incorporated a sleeve for the tension rods in the top. 

IMG_4995_2499

Here’s what I got.

IMG_4998_2502

For the bottom, I decided to try something a little different.  I found some wrapping paper rolls and stole their cardboard roll.  These rolls just happened to fit the width of these windows {this makes it meant to be in my book!}. 

IMG_5019_2530

Starting at the bottom I rolled the fabric up using the cardboard roll.  I added black ribbon on both sides to tie it up and I can let it down if I so choose.   I need to get another roll of ribbon for the third window.  I did not secure the ribbon to the fabric; it is just laying on it and I moved the tied portion around to the other side.

IMG_5056_2522

IMG_5058_2524

You could do different variations with this basic make-up.  You could take the ribbon and just tie each side up {without the cardboard roll}.  You could also use pins or whatever else to do the faux roman shade look like I did here.  Or you could just leave it down, although I would probably add a beautiful decorative trim to the bottom edge to finish it off.  {I’ll bet a black and clear beaded trim would look great}!

My windows used about 1 1/2 yards of fabric {total}.  The fabric was $14.98 a yard from fabric.com and I originally purchased 3 yards.  Best $45.00 I’ve spent so far this year!  The tension rods and cardboard rolls were free, since I had them already, and the ribbon was $3.99 a roll.  {I have a coupon for 30% off ribbon that I can use on the third roll}.

Now I don’t feel like I’m right out there in the open when I go into this room! 

Linking up to

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered

DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land

It’s So Very Creative at It’s So Very Cheri

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous

34 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Good Morning Kathy,
I am just having my first cup of coffee and here we go! I love what you did with your big window, you clever girl you!!
I just had to go and look in my prop closet to see if I had enough fabric to do a window that has been making me crazy. See, I cannot rest.

Love how it turned out.

hugs
Sissie

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

That looks awesome...so clever! I love the way the light comes through that fabric:) very pretty!

Christina said...

Great Idea! I really like them, they look perfect in your window.

Design Esquire said...

They look awesome!! You are so creative. Great job.

Angie Acapella said...

So creative! And I love me some stitch witchery! I use it all the time!

Red Door Home said...

Very creative and resourceful. I have seen the type of curtains you made called stagecoach blinds.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

WOnderful! I need something for my window in my workroom and this I can DO!

((Hugs))

Crystal said...

What a great idea! I love the patterns together and it looks great. My windows are long like that too. I use blinds behind my curtains because I cannot stand the thoughts of people being able to see in. It KILLS my husband.

BTW, what is your table made of in the corner there? Is it just a regular table covered with cloth? Is it burlap on there?:-)

Anne said...

Awesome! You're like the MacGyver of window treatments. :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the roman shades and the fabric looks wonderful with the plaid drapes. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Decor To Adore said...

Oh your "mistreatments" are just fabulous.

Come by and enter my giveaway.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Those faux roman shades are just fab! Never would have thought to use the gift wrap roll. How clever! Window treatments look beautiful!

Tammy@InStitches said...

I love those. I haven't made one like that in a while....

Heather Henderson said...

i love how it looks and that is such a clever idea!!

Anonymous said...

Oh you've done a great job!! I love how this looks and I'm sure you don't feel as open to the peepers now! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the windows! Love the champagne look with a beer budget. My kind of decorating.

Sonny G said...

You are sooooooooo SMART.. I gotta try this in my tiny bath.. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration..

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love the pattern! And using the cardboard paper rolls - genius!

Room to Inspire said...

Kathy what a great idea - I would have never thought of it! And they turned out great!

Chelsea

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Wrapping paper rolls? Now that's what I call Frugal... with a capital "F". ;) Your shades turned out lovely.

Where do you find the time for all these wonderful DIY projects?

Liz

Becca Bertotti said...

I love your new panels and gorgeous romans !! Everything looks beautiful ... love how the white in your panels ties in with your yummy sofa. It all looks wonderful !! -Becca

Unknown said...

I totally understand about the privacy. I feel the neighbors behind me could see everything. And since i walk around naked all the time, ( JUST KIDDING) no but that is why i did half curtains in all the windows in the kitchen and family room. Yours look great. Now help me decide if i should paint my kitchen, please.. mishelle

The Stylish House said...

Kathy,
This was a very good solution to remedy your peek a boo window situation. I like that you lined it so it looks tidy from the street view. Have a wonderful weekend; hope you are not snowed in. The white stuff is flying here.
Cathy

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

I love the look. I really like when two fabric patterns come together. Love the yellow on your walls too!

Karena said...

Kathy I love what you have created. It is a wonderful window treatment! I am going to have to get some stitch witchery for a couple of projects!
Karena

Judi said...

Hi Kathy
I love the fabric you have on the window that you used..very pretty. YOu picked up a great deal...isn't that great! I love when I can do that also.
Thank you for sharing and have a great rest of the evening and weekend too
Judi

One Cheap B*tch said...

I awarded you a Kreativ Blogger award! Check it out here:

http://onecheapbitch.blogspot.com/2010/02/kreativ-blogger-award-who-me.html

Jeanine

Melissa Miller said...

Kathy what a terrific idea for more privacy.
I adore your Ballard drapes as well. So pretty!

Thank you for the great idea to do with the keys. ~Melissa :)

Blue Creek Home said...

Your room is looking beautiful. You have made it over from head to toe!!!

Love this fabric! It looks great with the side panels!
Rhonda

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a great idea...and using wrapping paper rolls! The fabric looks great with your Ballard panels. Thanks for your visit and comment on my Eddie Ross post.
Sherry

Allison Shops said...

I love how it looks too. Great job!
Allison

The Starr Family said...

Innovative my friend! This is a great idea, thank you for sharing this... I may have to give it a try!

Delightful Dwelling said...

Wow, what a neat idea to use the wrapping paper rolls. I love the fabric, it looks just gorgeous.

Jane B. said...

Kathy, I love this toile fabric next to the check panels. Really nice job, you'd never know they weren't sewn! I also don't sew...don't you love stitch witchery? Best invention since, well, the sewing machine!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...