Saturday, February 6, 2010

I Hate This Picture

When we were getting our house ready to go on the market last year, I took down a whole long hallway of family pictures and kids’ school awards and certificates.   To fill this long and now empty hallway, I listened to some advice and picked up a couple of scene-type prints from Home Goods in black and white. 

IMG_4571_2231

Boats.  We don’t have a boat, we don’t go on boats, I don’t even like boats, but this is what I bought.  Hated them.  After accidentally breaking the glass in one, they were relegated to the garage.

Fast forward to my coming upon a blog called Welcome To The Life of LouLou, where I read this post.   Look at what is hanging over her bed.  I. Loved. This. Idea.

Loulou

I took the picture I didn’t break and, since the frame was already black, I didn’t have to paint it; removed the picture and grabbed some more of that lineny fabric I had gotten from Joann’s remnant bin and covered the picture insert with it. 

IMG_4572_2232

Just hot glued it on.

IMG_4575_2235

I contacted A Hint of Chic Boutique, who worked with me on a monogram for the 16 inch by 16 inch glass in this frame.  I originally wanted to get the one big initial for our last name in the middle, and my husband and my first initials, smaller and on each side, in a beautiful scrolly script.  The surface was too small to do that without distorting the letters, so I just went with the “P”.  Here’s the frame all ready for its monogram.

IMG_4718_2309  

I love it!  Except for one thing.  I screwed it up!  Did you ever do that and just want to cry?  The bottom of the circle is out of circular alignment and you can see one of the scrolls on the left side of the “P” is messed up.  Since I put this on the outside of the glass, I may just get paint suitable for glass and paint it on the inside of the glass, using the monogram as my guideline. 

IMG_4724_2311

I still love that I didn’t have to keep a picture I hated in the garage for all eternity.  Reworking what you’ve got ~ I’ll always love that!

27 comments:

Absolutely Ladylike said...

Fantastic makeover dear Kathy! I love everything you share and I'm such a big fan of framed pictures! I have to try this as well LOL.

Congrats!

Hope you having a lovely weekend, cheers: Evi

Charity said...

Oh, I hate it when I mess things up. I love your monogram, it is so pretty. I have been drooling over your inspiration for awhile also, isn't she to cutest. Have a great weekend.

Cha Cha

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I absolutely love it! If you hadn't mentioned the boo-boo, I would never have noticed it.

Unknown said...

Well I think its a great idea. And much better than boats! haha

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I had to stare really, really hard to see where it was "messed up". I think it looks great!

Unknown said...

That's a great repurposing idea. Glad to know the source for those monograms. I think I'll try this for all of the kids for Christmas this year. We've got so many of those unused frames in the garage.

Thanks for the ideas.

LouLou said...

Kathy! I LOVE it!! I really think it looks great..... I ordered the big "Always kiss me goodnight" for my girls' room redo.... I have a humongolous frame that I'm going to put it in...I have kinda been in a slump lately. All of these kids of mine just wear me out sometimes... I've gotta get my butt in gear, and get it done!

Sherri Blum, CID said...

I love the idea, Kathy! It looks so perfect in the space. And I probably wouldn't have noticed the misalignment, had you not brought it to my attention. Great job!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Kathy, that so pretty! If hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have even noticed the circle. Yep, I love reworking what I already have!

Manuela

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

I love it!!! It looks great.
Daphne

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I think it looks perfect with a capital "P"!

Anonymous said...

Love the monogram. Never noticed the boo-boo. Live with it for a bit and soon you won't even see it.

Michelle said...

It looks great! I didn't even notice the part that was messed up until you mentioned it. Then, I had to hunt for the mistake. I finally saw it, but it's not that noticeable. If you don't want to fix it, I doubt anyone will catch it on their own.

Content in a Cottage said...

Kathy...I love your monogram and the clever idea for reusing an old frame. It's perfect. Recycling at its best. Stay warm this weekend, Rosemary

Unknown said...

I think it looks really good. I would love to do that. mishelle

Pamela said...

Thanx for stopping by earlier! I love the monogram framed!

Tracy Watier said...

Great idea, Kathy! Love it when something can be repurposed in such a pretty way. I have stacks of framed art that I can't part with because I hope someday to come up with a new use for them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

This looks so great Kathy and honestly....I can't tell that it's not perfect....looks perfect to me. Really!!! Enjoy it!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
I love what you have done with your initial and using what you already had. Only you will notice the screw-up. Don't be so hard on yourself. It looks great.

Sissie

One Cheap B*tch said...

You can't even notice the circle alignment thingy. I think it looks great! And yes, many a craft project of mine has ended up in my circular file a.k.a the garbage pail b/c of smudges, smears or just out and out bad ideas that I wouldn't want anyone to know I thought up! lol =)

DesignTies said...

What a fantastic solution, Kathy! And I like yours better then the inspiration piece ;-)
Your shorty bloggy friend... Victoria

Jeanette said...

What a great makeover. You did a wonderful job.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

I agree with everyone else about the boo boo. You sound like quite the perfectionist! ;) I say, forget it. It looks great!

Carin said...

Great makeover job! I wouldn't have noticed the mistake had you not mentioned it, but I also know how incredibly annoying knowing there is a mistake can be even when no one else sees them.

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

Hi Kathy,
I love to visit Lou Lou too. She's something else. Very talented, and her children are adorable. I didn't get your finished picture. It's a blank area on your blog. I'll check back later to see if it't there. How are you enjoying the new slipcover?
You asked about how I painted my funky cabinet. Well, first Kilz, then the paint, then minwax water base sealer in satin. I did the distressed finish because I knew it may chip some. But on the base top, I sanded it with rough sandpaper then sprayed primer on it. Just in case the top section slid across it.
TTYL, Kelly :)

The French Bear said...

Kathy, I love this!! You did a great job, goodness it looks gorgeous! How funny about the boat thing, me too!!! Love the fleur de lis, a dollar each? Wow!
I need to shop with you!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Heathahlee said...

If you hadn't said anything, I would have never noticed! It's beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...