Monday, February 1, 2010

Let’s Throw Some Pillows Into The Mix

I thought that I would use this weekend to put together some pillows as part of my living room redo. 
IMG_4749_2336
I had bought this great large-sized lumbar pillow on sale at Joann’s {originally $24.99 on sale for $10.99}, and I had two smaller existing accent pillows from my sofa.  I decided to use the black and white chandelier curtain panel I got at Goodwill {for $2.99} a few months ago for the lumbar pillow.  For the two smaller pillows I decided to go with something else.
IMG_4674_2293
IMG_4750_2337
Karen at The Graphics Fairy offers free images for anyone to use in their projects and this time I decided to use a couple and make them iron-on transfers to be used for the two accent pillows I had.  I chose these graphics to work with.
1acartepostalegfairy002
frenchframegfairy005b
frenchlabelgfairy007
I haven’t used iron-on transfers in I don’t know how long and even then they were already prepared for me.  I just had to iron them on.  I bought iron-on transfer paper at Michaels and with no clear directions on which side to use, just kept my fingers crossed that I had printed in mirror image on the right side.  {Note: This no-name brand is crap; try and get Avery or one of the better known names}.
IMG_4676_2280

I decided to use a remnant of canvas fabric I had gotten at Joann’s {love their remnant bins} that had a tea-stained look to it, but chose a red and white toile that I already had for the backside.  This way I get two pillows in one!  Maybe in the Winter I’ll want the red and white toile as a warmer look and in the Spring/Summer I’ll use the canvas side for its lightness.
IMG_4742_2329
IMG_4743_2330
IMG_4745_2332
IMG_4746_2333

Because I just couldn’t stop torturing myself, I made the little guy below and stuffed it with fiberfil.  I put a robins egg blue colored piece of sample fabric I had on the back of this one.
IMG_4753_2340
IMG_4759_2343


I still have to sew them closed, but wanted to get pictures in daylight.  I’m pretty happy with them!

Linking up with:
Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy
bragmondayMetamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch
metamorphosismonday DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land
DIY Day
It’s So Very Cheri
Don’t forget to enter our current giveaway from black and light co.  Ends Saturday, February 6th!

37 comments:

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Love the transfers that you made. That chandelier fabric is so cool!

Anonymous said...

I haven't used the transfers before but I love the idea. Also a great idea to do the pillows two-sided for two different looks. That robins egg blue fabric is so pretty!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

All of your fabric choices are just gorgeous and the transfers turned out wonderful. Love them. Hugs, Marty

The French Bear said...

Beautiful job, they look fabulous! I tried to do tea towels once with iron ons, but they came off in the wash, any tips? I love it when I see bags and pillows with images on them, I would love to be able to silk screen them. Your pillows look great, love the black one!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Hi Kathy,
Wow, you've been busy!! Your pillows are beautiful! I love how you did a nice grouping of them, they look so great all together.
Thanks so much for playing along for another "Brag Monday", it's always fun for me to see what you come up with!

Jane said...

Hi Kathy,
Where do you find the time to do all of these projects? I really like the graphics you used for the pillows and I like the idea of using a different fabric on the back for a whole new look.
Great job as always!
Jane

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Wow lady you had a busy weekend! I think you should be pretty happy with them because they all turned out great :).

Red Door Home said...

Transfer paper looks like a wonderful way to make a personalized gift. I will take your advise if I ever give it a try and use a name brand product.

Anonymous said...

I love it that the chandelier in your header matches the chandelier in fabric of the black and white fabric. That's too cute.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

They look great and love the idea of the transfers! I think the last time I used a transfer it to was embellish my jeans a zillion years ago. This looks much better!
Janell

Stephanie @ BonaFide said...

Love the new pillows! You are just a roll lately with the crafts. I wish I could get so motivated!
Happy February!

Design Esquire said...

They look great!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I have never used transfers before either but will have to give it a try. Your pillows turned out nice. I especially like the one with the post card. Great job on them!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

What a creative way to use Karen's graphics! Your pillows are the crowning touch for your newly slipcovered sofa. Isn't it exciting when a plan comes together?

Anonymous said...

Those pillows are fantastic. How gorgeous!!

Tammy@InStitches said...

Kathy, they look really good ! I used PrintWorks brand and it came with easy instructions.

Gail said...

Kathy you did a great job. Love the fabric choices.

Vanessa said...

Really beautiful pillows, they add such a nice accent!
Love
Vanessa

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Your sofa looks fabulous with those creative and lovely pillows!

Blue Creek Home said...

You just keep bringing great projects!!
I saved those two images too! Don't you just love them?
And, I adore that last fabric..blue greenish sculpted looking one.

Rhonda

Sherri Blum, CID said...

You're so funny...I hear ya on the "couldn't stop torturing" yourself comment about making yet another pillow! I have made so many toss pillows in my day that I don't know if I could stand to stitch another if my life depended on it! So glad I eventually found good seamstresses! Too bad that heavy-duty sewing machine I HAD TO HAVE is gathering dust, though!
I love the pillows...each one of them! Care to make me a set? ;)

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love your pillows! The chandelier one is awesome! I love the graphics you chose too - very pretty!

Sonny G said...

wow, love those pillow. Could you throw one to my house ,,giggle.
you did great and now I'll have to give the transfers a try.
thanks for the instructions.
BB
Sonny

The homebodies said...

Thank you for the nice compliment on our blog! I'm excited to peruse yours! :) I love the pillows, that is such a good idea to use iron-ons for pillows! They turned out so gorgeous! I'm going to have to try that! We will definitely be following now! :)

Dena Pickle said...

I love them! I love all the black and white you do.
They look just my style too!

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Love your pillows...the graphics are great. I'm going to have to give the iron on transfers a try. Thanks for posting.

2amscrapper said...

Love your play on words for the title of your blog post! Great pillows. I could do the iron-on transfer if I could find my iron, but I don't sew. So I'm really admiring your pillows and appreciating your creativity.

Unknown said...

love the transfers and thanks for the site info to get some free.. mishelle

Stephanie said...

Saw your link from Graphics Fairy...LOVIN the pillows. I love the idea of the two sided pillows to change things up when you get bored. I wish I had that chandelier damask fabric!!! Did it have a name brand on the tag when you got it from the thrift store? I can think of so many uses for it! Thanks for the post!

Stephanie said...

I found that fabric panel! Target, OF COURSE! Love that store. Thanks again for sharing your pillows.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Kathy...those are Gorgeous!!!

2sisters said...

I haven't ever used transfers. they turned out darling!
teri

Maria Killam said...

It's always great when you can make your own pillows cause they get expensive (as you know) to get them custom even when we are doing them :) Yours are beautiful!

DesignTies said...

The black & white chandelier fabric is awesome!! I can't believe you found it at Goodwill!!! If you ever come across another one of those curtain panels, I want it!!!! :-D

A belated thank you for the congratulations on my home office win :-) It was the icing on the cake of a great weekend at the IDS :-)

Kelly

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I am a huge fan of black and white and I love the lumbar pillow. Don't you love how they stay in place and feel so much better than a square pillow?

I just recently started doing a pillow of the week segment on my blog. So you had me at your title :)
thanks for sharing.

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Kathy, I loved this shower curtain when you bought it and have been waiting to see how you were going to use it. You did well! I love the pillows and the transfers you chose!

Heathahlee said...

LOVE those pillows! I need to get back to making the pillows that have been on my list since last year! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...