Sunday, February 28, 2010

This Little Light Of Mine

When I first got this lamp {oh, about 10 years ago} it was something I had to hunt down.  It is wood and it came unfinished; ready for you to paint and decorate it!  I had seen it in a magazine and it took me months to find it.

 IMG_4849_2419

I wanted it so badly because I wanted to coordinate a lamp to cornices I had made for my son’s room.  Even then I had a fleur fixation!  I painted it the colors that were in the fabric of the cornice and it sat nicely on my son’s dresser until about three years ago.  It was then banished to the basement never to be seen again.  Until . . . one day this January I was in the basement looking for something else.

IMG_4852_2420

I knew I was going to need a lamp for the desk in the living room to replace the brass one I would be getting rid of.  This one.  So back upstairs it came!

IMG_4896_2435 

Perfect to paint black and use some scrapbook papers on.  The shade, unfortunately, could not be reused.  I hot glued the fabric on there so good.  Too good.  That baby is not coming off!

IMG_4909_2439

I gave the whole thing about three coats of black spray paint.  I got a great black and white scrapbook paper book from Hobby Lobby online {yay!} and picked out a Harlequin pattern paper. 

IMG_4866_2404

IMG_4872_2410

I measured the area on the lamp where I wanted to put the paper.  I decided to leave a little of the black paint showing on each side’s edge. 

IMG_4880_2424

I also paid homage to the fleur I had originally stenciled on it by painting a small wood fleur and attaching it to the front.

IMG_4968_2505

After searching online for lamp shades, I finally found one that I not only liked, but that didn’t require me to take out a second mortgage.  I got the shade from Etsy seller Boopsy Doodle’s Boutique.   

An attractive lamp to provide some much needed light at my desk and all I had to buy was the lamp shade!

IMG_4969_2506

Linking up with:

Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered

DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land

Make It Yours Day at My Backyard Eden

Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors

Be Inspired at Room To Inspire

 

40 comments:

Jane said...

Kathy,
That is a great transformation. So many things I love about this project....that you were able to reuse something you had....the color....the paper you used.....the fleur you added....and finally the perfect lampshade. OK, can you tell I really like this one. Great job.
Jane

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Oh you have to know that I love what you did here on this lamp! Love the black and white and such a great idea! Well done!! Love it!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the black and white and the lamp and shade look perfect. Just gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I love it. It looks fantastic and so you :).

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Ooo, I love it! Your story of "re-finding" it in the basement is funny. I do that quite frequently - rummaging for something else and unearthing something I forgot I had. It's like finding a new, little treasure.

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You just made me gasp when I saw the redo of the lamp. It's gorgeous and so creative of you to "see" the possibilities.

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Love this lamp re-do - reminds me of McKenzie Childs (love their stuff) - could paint the feet gold and it would pass for theirs.

You are very talented.

Christine said...

wow that is awesome I just love it!

Red Door Home said...

So much fun (and frugal!)to be able to reuse something you already have. Looks great.

Unknown said...

Can I just say you are stupidly and ridiculously creative! These are very smart and fun. Great job!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

This lamp is super stylish, Kathy! I love it. Hope you are well x

The House Creative said...

Love it! How fun too, its a great lamp!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Absolute perfection, Kathy!! I LOVE it! At the shop I went to yesterday I thought about you as she had some fabulous black and white candles that you would have loved!

Nope, no return for us, we always have to PAY every year!!! :(

Have a wonderful day!!

((Hugs))
Marsha

Content in a Cottage said...

Kathy...That is wonderful. What a great transformation. You must be so pleased.
xo, Rosemary

The French Bear said...

Wow, what a transformation, fabulous!!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

One Cheap B*tch said...

Love it! Aren't you glad you never through it out? It looks gorgeous! And thanks for the tip on Hobby Lobby selling online! When do you think they will get one here?!

One Cheap B*tch said...

Doh! I meant "threw" it out. Bad typo, what is wrong with me lately????

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Love that lamp!!! Too cute!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Gorgeous transformation! The lamp now has a classic and classy look.

Don't you just love items that you can make over again? I'd much rather do that than purchase new!

~Liz

Dena Pickle said...

I love this Kathy! Wonderful job. I think you are as addicted to scrapbook paper as i am.

Christina said...

Love the transformation! I always enjoy making over an old project making it fresh again.

Embellished Bayou said...

So cute! Love the black & white and of course the fleur de lis!

byLGD Glass Jewelry said...

this is one of the best transformations i've seen yet! i love it! just love it! :)

The Starr Family said...

Love that paper, oh do I love it! You are a smart cookie!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Great little makeover!
It's so nice to be able to change something and keep using it.

Frugal Home Designs said...

Great transformation! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to dig through your archives.

Sonny G said...

Lovin' that black and white transformation. its truly divine~!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

The black and white is fabulous! Looks amazing - You did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! OUTSTANDING - Love it and what a transformation!!! Harlequin fixes everything!!!lol Have a great day - Sincerely, Jeannette (oh and that shade is the perfect finish!)

Atticmag said...

Your vision for that lamp is terrific and you have such a great result. Now enjoy it! You were so lovely to stop by my blog to see my new picture wall, too. -- Jane F.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

This is darn cute! I love the shade and I never would have thought to put scrapbook paper on a lamp. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for visiting!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Now wouldn't that lamp look just perfect in my house? LOL! That's a wonderful makeover - it really looks so great now!

Manuela

2sisters said...

I LOVE it! I turned out great!
teri

Creations from my heart said...

Love the re-do. I like the idea of using the scrap booking paper. What a great idea. Next time you can't get the hot glue to to come off, try using your steam iron where the glue is (like my lampshade video). It will come right off. Sometimes it's just easier to go out and buy a new one. Ha,ha.
Blesssings...Sherry

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

I just love this sweet little lamp! Great job!

Blessings, Grace

Elder Esplin said...

What a cute lamp! I love how we can bring new life to just about anything. LOVE IT! Great job.

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Huge change! You are so creative!

Room to Inspire said...

Kathy your lamp underwent a great make-over! And I love that you paid homage to the fleur! Did you say Hobby Lobby online? I am thrilled to go check it out. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I love the makeover! It looks so different with the new shade and its new harlequin design.

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...