Sunday, February 3, 2013

~ Office Bookcases ~

2013 01 25_0290

I may have mentioned that the home office is the husband’s domain.  I have a small desk that I keep my laptop on in there, but otherwise this is his room when he is working from home.  Part of the office is a pair of bookcases that he made for me as a Christmas gift one year {when we were in our old house}.    The bad habit of just sticking things on the shelves in here had gotten a bit out of hand.

2013 01 24_0296

These are mostly all my books, except for stuff on the bottom and top shelf of one bookcase.  It would be fair to say that most of the crap collectible mish mash that has accumulated on here is mine as well.  I started out by emptying the shelves and getting rid of stuff ~ either garbage/recycling, donate or to be stored.  Then I took all the paper covers off the books.

2013 01 25_0286

I made quite a mess with them, but it was easier for me to do them this way and get the books organized.  I liked to read and reread a lot of my books, so while they are not organized prettily by color, they are organized by author.  

2013 01 25_0294

This was more of a functional organizing than a design one, although I did add a few decorative items in there.

2013 01 25_0293

The wire baskets hold my Romantic Homes magazines and other magazines that I’ve felt were worth keeping.

2013 01 25_0289

2013 01 25_0292

No, he won’t let me paint them.  He was okay with me applying gel stain to darken them, but there are so many coats of polyurethane on there, I get tired just thinking about stripping and sanding that off. 

SONY DSC

I felt good once I completed this {even though it took me about 2 1/2 hours}.  It may not be pretty, but it looks so much better than it did.  I actually wound up with some extra space, too, so I’m  ready for the next library book sale!

Linking up with

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design

23 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

I totally plan on getting myself organized like this in the next month. Nice job Kathy.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Kathy,
Don't know if I would have trashed the books' dust covers... They always contain valuable information too.
But the end result is great and I agree fully with your husband. Why following that frenzy of painting all things white? Wood does have its own charm.
Love your oval clock; never have seen one like that!
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Marina in Blue said...

Great, Kathy, I love books and I love tidy bookshelves so when this morning I have switched on my computer and I have seen in my list of blogs that I follow your picture, I have got into immediately, thank you

Marina from Jerez

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

They look great Kathy! I love that clock you having hanging above them!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It looks amazing. It is so hard to do bookshelves and this looks really nice. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Okio B Designs said...

I'm sad to say that most of my closets look like your before photo. Lol! I have to do some organizing too. At least you can find all of your books easier now.

Jeanine

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Great before and after Kathy! I to do some organizing of my book shelves too. When we moved and I unpacked I just threw the books up any old which way.

Blondie's Journal said...

Okay...now I need to take a look at my shelves! Yours look nice and organized and I like that you have them organized by author. I used to reread book but now I can't even keep up with the new ones I have, so I have been donating them to a used bookstore. That keeps the shelves a little cleaner. Good job!

XO,
Jane

Tried and Twisted said...

I love the uniform look of all of the hardcover books together, although I don't know if the hoarder in me could throw out all of the paper covers. Cool idea though!

Olive said...

I am very impressed you have the books alpha by author. That is not happening here any time soon.

This N That said...

good job..looks great..

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

What a wonderful change a little organizing can make. I love to tackle bookshelves that are out-of-hand. You did a marvelous job.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It looks great and what's even better is that you feel good about it now! I have that clock! It looks cute above the bookcases.

DIYbyDesign said...

It looks so much better. You did a great job reorganizing the whole bookcase.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great, great job Kathy!...the bookshelves look so beautifully organized...!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

It looks fantastic. We all have that problem of just sticking things here and there as time permits...you should see my husband's office. Ugh! Maybe one day I'll tackle that design-wise and blog about it.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I love how your bookcases look now. I recently took all the covers off my books as well, hope to plan some changes soon. hugs ~lynne~

Little Miss Maggie said...

Looks much better this way, Kathy. Don't feel bad, my husband won't let me paint anything in this house at all. Men just like natural wood, but at least he made them for you and they are great for your needs.

thistlewoodfarm said...

You go girl! I think they look amazing! I need to straighten up some bookshelves, too! Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring me today!

blessings,
karianne

20 North Ora said...

Kathy - Your bookshelves look really great. You did an awesome job redoing them.

Judy

Susan said...

Kathy your book case looks great!! I need to purge and organize my storage rooms upstairs as well as the rest of the house. My motto this year is less is best.

Unknown said...

Looks really good! Thanks for your visit.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Nicely done! I have a bookcase that needs some serious attention as well. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...