Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wood Candleholder Redo

Penny from The Comforts of Home posted this inspiration picture from Pottery Barn while looking to spruce up her mantel.

PB.candlesticks

I noticed that the candleholder to the right reminded me of a candleholder that I have and had put away.   I’m pretty sure it’s because I wasn’t feeling the green and pink in the detailing anymore.

DSC01483_1098

While I was Heirloom White spray painting crazy recently, I gave it a couple of coats.

DSC01659_1237

Then added some light gray to the main details to bring them out.  Very subtle.

DSC01661_1239

With a darker gray added to the “rings” in each section.

DSC01670_1247

Here is a close up of the bottom section.  I think you can see the difference in color better in this shot.

DSC01671_1248

A little something missing though.  The top has a hole in it that would hold a taper candle, but I would just sit a pillar candle on the top anyway. 

DSC01672_1249

I found a finial I had in my craft closet and decided to add that.

DSC01668_1245

Like this.

DSC01669_1246

It’s a little too bright for me so I mixed up some chocolate brown craft paint with some water and put it on with a sponge brush.    {The next pictures were taken on a cloudy, rainy day, so I apologize for the dim lighting}.  Before:

DSC01681_1257

I waited from 3-5 minutes and wiped it off with a paper towel.  The picture below is where I put it on the base and wiped it off.

DSC01683_1258

This picture shows it slathered on before wiping off, in the middle section.

DSC01685_1259

DSC01689_1263

DSC01686_1260

After:

DSC01687_1261

I think it toned it down just enough for me.

DSC01690_1264

Not sure where I’m putting it yet.  I’ve been walking around the house with it and trying out spots.  I think my family is afraid it’s a weapon of some sort, so I hope to find a place to set it down soon! 

Linking up with

Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello

Delicately Constructed Fridays at Delicate Construction

Kathy

20 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

That is a fine looking candle stick. I love all the carved detail. Good job!

Erin said...

Kathy, I love this and what a great tutorial...Yes I like directions for things and this was great for me! You really made this gorgeous and I love the finial!

Brenda Pruitt said...

You gave it such visual and textural interest! I am just not good with paint. Wish I was!
Brenda

Kristens Creations said...

It turned out great Kathy! I'm glad you will be joining the party!! Kristen

Ms. Bake-it said...

Perfect! I like it much better now! Great job Kathy!

One Cheap B*tch said...

It looks great now. Love the colors you chose for the makeover!

jeanine

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

What an amazing transformation! I love the multi tone effect and the finial was genus! Thanks for the in depth tutorial.

Diann said...

That turned out wonderful. Very nicely done!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I really like it! I just found two really tall chunky wood candle holders at a thrift store for a total of $5. I think I am going to do something like this to them and use pillar candles just sitting on top. Thanks for the inspiration!

Passionate for White said...

Great transformation and thanks for the chuckle in the end!

Unknown said...

Love it!!

xo,
amanda

Room to Inspire said...

Turned out great! Adding the finial to the top was brilliant!

Chelsea

DecRenew Interiors said...

LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEE!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What an awesome transformation! And you have such a great eye for detail. I can spray paint Heirloom White til the cows come home and my stuff never looks this good! I guess I should start trying to age with the brown craft paint!!

Big TX Hugs,m
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Jane said...

Isn't it nice to take a piece that you already had and transform it into something new and fresh! You did an awesome job on the candleholder. I like the finial on top!
Jane

design elements said...

lovely transformation!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Hi Kathy, I love this wonderful tutorial...what a dramatic change the last step made by adding and rubbing off that chocolate brown color and the finial finished it off beautifully. Thanks for sharing and for your sweet comment for my Merry Month of May. Have a nice weekend!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Terra said...

What a great transformation!

Whit said...

wow that looks really good. I got a few for cheap at the DI i should do something like this to them. It is awesome what paint can do. I am visiting from TT&J linky party. come and say hi. I also have a really fun giveaway next week so check back.

A Mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

These look GREAT!!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I would LOVE if you could link up your awesome post to my very first crafty linky party! This is the first week of Delicately Constructed Fridays and I would really appreciate the link!
Hope you have a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...