Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chair Before & After

You might remember the chair I found at a local thrift store here and how I just fell in love with the shape and detail.  I got started on it last weekend.  There are so many ways you could go in your color choice with a chair like this.  Be forewarned, this is a long post with a lot of pictures!

DSC01445_1064

I went a somewhat neutral route so that I could fit it in anywhere in my house.  I first removed the fabric from the back and removed the seat to remove that fabric.  Total grossness! 

DSC01673_1250

DSC01674_1251

I cleaned it before priming it.  This is what the rag looked like after wiping it down.   Gross to the nth power!

DSC01676_1253

DSC01675_1252

I decided to use a paint brush on the chair, as opposed to spray paint, because I figured I’d have more control over any drips, especially in the detailing.  After the primer dried I painted it with two coats of Heirloom White.  I followed that up with a quick spray of Heirloom White to get anything I might have missed with the brush. 

DSC01693_1267

While waiting for the paint to dry I got some batting and did a quick staple around the seat with it.  Then I cut my fabric.  I had ordered this script fabric some time ago and thought I might use this on it, but the font is too big for the size of the chair.

penpalscript

So I went looking for something on fabric.com that would work better and found this P Kaufman fabric, which comes in two other color ways. This is the Pewter.  It was a little bit more than I would normally spend, but I only got a yard so I figured it was worth it.

monogramscriptfabric

While I love the script fabrics that are out there, it seems like everyone has it now and I wanted something a little different.  I thought the monogram theme with the script would give me the look I was going for. 

DSC01677_1254

I got lucky that there was a large “K” in an area that I could use on the heart shaped seat back.  The seat got some batting {where there was none before} and then the fabric stapled on top of that.

DSC01696_1271

I glued a chocolate brown trim {that I already had}around the back fabric because the fabric had to be stapled on the face of the chair.  It had a cording on it originally {vinyl} and was tacked with upholstery tacks in place.  Since the back  part was not removable a cording was necessary to hide the staples.

DSC01700_1275

Before I attached the fabric, I mixed up some chocolate brown craft paint with water to apply as a glaze.  I think it shows off the detailing much better than if I had left it white.  Then, I did a quick spray of polyurethane spray in a satin finish and did the fabric once that dried.  I’m not totally thrilled with the way the trim looks, so I might see if I can find a gray cording.

 DSC01697_1272

I really love this fabric!

DSC01701_1276

DSC01703_1278

DSC01704_1279

I put it in my living room, where it may or may not stay.  Pay no attention to my laptop power cord there on the floor.

DSC01706_1281

DSC01708_1283

DSC01709_1284

A couple of close-ups. 

DSC01727_1310

DSC01726_1309

Side by side “before” and “after”.

DSC01445_1064DSC01698_1273

Whew!  Long post!  If you stuck with me this far, don’t forget to enter my giveaway for the 5th Annual Cottage Charm Giveaway here.  It runs through May 29th; the winner will receive one of my triple ruffled runners and a “clip it”.

Linking up with

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Tuesday’s Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

All Things Inspired at All Things Heart and Home

Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

Open House Party at No Minimalist Here

Time Travel Thursdays at Brambleberry Cottage

Textile Link Party at Freckled Laundry

Kathy

55 comments:

Karena said...

Kathy I absolutely adore what you have done. The fabric is perfect and with the trim looks great against you curtains! The Initial K what could be better!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy!
I absolutely love everything about this chair!
You've done a wonderful job with the paint and the fabric choice. It's perfect. It's great the way you centered the "K" on the back of the seat.
Great project.

hugs
Sissie

Okio B Designs said...

Oh Kath, it's GORGEOUS! The fabric, the color - everything. Utterly perfect!

Jeanine

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kathy what a fantastic makeover, I love it!! Martina

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the chair. It is wonderful, love the shape and the style. Beautiful fabric also. You did a fantastic job. Hugs, Marty

Red Door Home said...

Your newly redone chair looks perfect in your living room. Love the fabric.

Shaunna said...

Gorgeous, Kathy!!! It really is beautiful fabric and such a gorgeous chair...great job!
:-)
shaunna

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Oh, so pretty! What a great transformation...just love the color and fabric!
Blessings,
Cindy

jninecostumes said...

This is a great update for the chair. I think either the monogram or the script would look great. It really came together nice

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

FabUlous, Kathy!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!

xxoo

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I love that fabric! The chair turned out just awesome, Kathy! A beautiful chair just for the talented woman of the home!

Unknown said...

A beautiful redo, love the new fabric!

Sonny G said...

wow wow wow Kathy~! thats beautiful and so unique... way to go Girl.

xoxoxo
Sonny

Gina said...

What a fabulous chair!! I love the script fabric too! I almost bought that first fabric as well but its SO BIG! Wish they made it smaller to accommodate smaller pieces! Beautiful job!

Stitchfork said...

Be still my heart - monograms and typography!!
Love it Kath!
xo Cathy

The Tuscan Home said...

What a lovely re-do! Phenomenal job, Kathy...I love it! XOXO ~Liz

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Still in love with the style of this chair. The fabric turned out perfect with the lovely K right in the middle. Turned out great.

Gail said...

O' Kathy, your chair is beautiful! What an awesome transformation. I love it.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

The chair looks awesome! I love the fabric you chose...looks perfect in that spot in the living room. Great job!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Perfect fabric for that great chair. You did a great job. Really love it!

Scrap for Joy said...

You did a remarkable transformation on that chair Kathy! The fabric was a peerfect choice (I love anything with writing on it, too!) and how lucky that the "K" worked into the back so well. Where would we be without heirloom white?
xoxo
Joyce

abeachcottage said...

Love the transformation, the chair is beautiful, you did a great job!

Atticmag said...

Fabric suits the new look of the chair just perfectly. The detailing of the back is lovely. Hope you'll stop by and take our house tour. Jane

sheerserendipity said...

Oh my goodness! I absolutely love this chair and what you did with it! I love the fabric you chose, beautiful job!

Jingle said...

Oh, wow! That looks amazing!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful transformation for a stunning chair! You did a great job. I love chairs! Hugs
FABBY

Unknown said...

Amazing transformation. I have never heard of fabric.com. I will check it out! Visiting from MM. Have a good day!
Roselle

DIYbyDesign said...

The fabric is gorgeous and the chair came out amazing. Very impressive transformation.

Ms. Bake-it said...

You are too funny Kathy! I love the transformation! You did a great job and I love the colors. I will be ordering some of that chalk paint this week and will try it out on the chair and bookshelf I recently posted about.

Have a great week!

~ Tracy

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you for dropping by too. The green designed dishes, along with the accessories and napkin rings were made at a Ceramic Factory, we used to have, up until 3 years ago, that my hubby sold it! I used to design lots of these, inspired in the native Indian women's embroidered clothing. If you have time in back blogs I've posted a few other china designs we did! Thank you again. My blog header has a plate from us!
Have a nice week.
FABBY

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

LOVE IT, Kathy!
You put a lot of work into that chair!!!
The "K" is genius!
Aren't you proud of yourself :)?
HUGS, sweet friend!
~me

xinex said...

You really did a good job on the chair, Kathy. It is adorable! I love the fabri=c and I just love the shape of the top..Christine

. said...

That chair is gorgeous! The lines on her are so unique! The fabric was a perfect choice. :)

Unknown said...

Turned out beautiful! Holy cow what a difference. Not to mention the chair has incredible lines!

Donene said...

I love this chair! How very cute!
Thanks for visiting and your very nice comments and yes, I feel fabulous!

Unknown said...

That is a FABULOUS transformation. You should come link it up to my textile party. I adore the fabric you chose.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I'm in love with your new chair! The fabric is just beautiful, I might just have to buy some :)
You did a wonderful job, thanks for linking up!
XO
Kristin

Passionate for White said...

You did an awesome job - love the fabric!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

So happy I stopped by...the chair came out beautiful! Looking forward to catching up on your blog a bit!

Kim said...

Gor-GEOUS!!!!!!!!

Amy Chalmers said...

I think the chair came out terrific! I love the fabric you chose, and the monogram K looks perfect. I wonder if you could just paint the trim grey....

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Oh, that chair is to die for!

Noble Vintage said...

this is a great makeover! you started with something good and made it great. I have a linky party called Transformations and Treasures that I'd like to invite you to- it's on Wednesdays! have a great week!

Becca Bertotti said...

Kathy, your "new" chair looks fabulous !! What a beautiful transformation. I love the fabric and the large in initial ... wonderful job !!

Helen's Decor said...

Beautiful transformation. The paint and fabric really made an enormous statement. Love it! I'm a new follower and hope you visit me soon, too.
Thank you very much, Helen

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I easily stuck around for the end of the post :) This is a beautiful chair -- you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

oooh la la! love it!

Visiting from Savvy Southern Style linky.

http://junkernewbie.blogspot.com/

Honey at 2805 said...

Wow! What a facelift!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Another pretty project completed, Kathy! I love the fabric you chose and the way you tied everything together with chocolate! ;)

Thanks for linking to the party. I love having you join in the fun.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

I am utterly and deeply in love with this! Awesome job!!

Big PINK SATURDAY Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, I am in love with your new chair. The fabric you used is beautiful and the monogram in the middle works perfectly. Thank you for sharing this at my party. Have a great weekend!
xo,
Sherry

Pamela said...

Kathy your chair turned out just wonderful! Great fab choice!

Anonymous said...

I am in love!!! And love that you were able to feature a K. I love monograms too...always have. I was always afraid I had too many monograms in my house but now they seem to be quite the rage. So now I am in style. :) How do you end the cording where the ends meet together? I have trouble with that. Have a wonderful week. ~ Lynn @thevintagenest

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love this chair, Kathy. Great fabric choice and thanks for sharing it at my party last week.

Recaptured Charm said...

I didn't catch this when you posted it. What an AWESOME CHAIR! Love the fabric.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...