Monday, July 23, 2012

Vintage Hatbox Swap

I love doing swaps!  The most recent one I joined in on was hosted by Michele at Something Special and it was a Vintage Hatbox Swap.  My partner was Deb from Garage Sale Gal

Hatbox swap

We were to use a 7 or 8 inch hatbox, decorate the outside, and fill it with vintage or handmade goodies {with one thing being handmade}.  Here is the box I did for my partner, Deb.

DSC08439_7495

I found the basic box with the picture on the top, the ribbon handle, and the base in the color you see.  I added this great pleated ribbon trim with bling around the top lip and a button where the two pieces overlapped.

DSC08440_7496

Then to keep with the vintage theme and the image that was already on the hatbox, I found these vintage lady graphics, which coincidentally showed them wearing hats.  What luck there!  I printed them out in a size to fit the sides of the hatbox and adhered them on.

DSC08441_7497

DSC08442_7498

DSC08443_7499

I also found an old ladies hat advertisement {the advertisement is old, not the ladies} that I adhered to the back of the box.

DSC08444_7500

Here are the goodies I sent onto Deb ~ some tags, Scrabble tiles that spell out “DEB”, dress form ready to be dressed up, little rosebud, fabric flower, label plate, a few clothespins, small white frame, a vintage Santa mug, a stamp that covers the four basic food groups {cookies, candy, cupcakes, chocolate}, and a vintage look Halloween fabric.

DSC08431_7490

My handmade goody is this vintage rose graphic door hanger.

DSC08434_7492

DSC08449_7505

Here is the hatbox I got from Deb!

DSC08589_7643

DSC08590_7644

Didn’t she make it so pretty!  It was filled with loads of little goodies.

DSC08591_7645

DSC08592_7646

DSC08595_7649

DSC08596_7650

DSC08597_7651

DSC08599_7653

DSC08600_7654

I already put that little dish to good use. 

DSC08597_7651

It is now being used to hold a very small cloche I bought recently.

DSC08594_7648

What a fun swap and Deb was such a great partner!  Thanks Deb!

Technorati Tags:

20 comments:

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Kathy, Both of your hat boxes were super cute! Looks like it was a lot of fun too. Have a great week! ~ Jamie

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

what a fab swap ...u received and sent some very fab items...hugs

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a great swap and I am loving both hat boxes and the treasures inside!

Karen said...

That's a great swap, you made and received beautiful hatboxes filled with wonderful goodies.

Olive said...

Fun, I like the wee sewing notions. I have an old set of hat boxes I have had for years that I adore. I keep taking pictures of them. Have a splendid Monday!

Kim said...

What a fun swap! Deb is great and I love the hat boxes you got from her. I've been trying to email you for days and having lots of trouble. I wanted to thank you for stopping by and ask if you know of a good site for floor tiles. I'm not having trouble emailing anyone but you. Is anyone else having this problem??
xoxo,
Kim

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh how fun, both are beautiful boxes and filled with such wonderful goodies. Hugs, Marty

This N That said...

Beautiful hat boxes..What a great swap.Lots of fun stuff..

Anonymous said...

such a wonderful swap! Beautiful gifts and beautifully decorated hat boxes, I just found you today and am happy to follow along on your adventures!!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

How fun! I used to do handmade ornament swaps when I was a regular poster...postess...on a primitive decorating forum. You never know what you're gonna get. (said in a Forest Gump voice!)

NanaDiana said...

My gosh, Kathy! Those are both beautiful...and full of such special treasures. You can tell a lot of time, effort and thought went into both of them. Lucky lucky girls- xo Diana

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

What a marvelous swap! Love your doorhanger!

Gail said...

What a fun swap Kathy! How lucky you both were to receive such a beautifully decorated hat box filled with such lovely gifts.

Okio B Designs said...

Wow! Both of your boxes turned out beautifully! I like what you gave Deb and vice versa. =)

Jeanine

Stitchfork said...

Whoa! What a treasure trove for both of you!
xo Cathy

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Kathy,
It sure was GREAT swapping with you! Had me using my "brain" for this one! Love my box and all the treasures you sent! Thank you so much!
I must learn to sew!!!
Deb :)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I think both boxes are so pretty, Kathy. Love that door hanger too.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Kathy, of course I can get back to you, you don't have that stupid Google + second I know Deb, she lives in my home town of Minnesota so when I was "Home " last year we got together and junked for a day. then when she came on vacation to Orlando we got together....Small world. What a great exchange that was you both gave and got fabulous gifts!

Carol

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

I haven't done a swap in several years, but they were always such fun! Your's and Deb's boxes were both decorated so beautifully! And great stuff you both shared, too! :)

Little Miss Maggie said...

Your hat box turned out so pretty. I love the graphics of the ladies. Just beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...