Sunday, November 10, 2013

Paris Hotel Sign ~ Pinterest Project #3

In my continuing quest to actually make some of the things I’m pinning on Pinterest, this next project is something I thought I’d try.   This Hotel de Paris sign.

Love the sign : Shabby Chic Bedroom Decorating Ideas

the living room | Kasey Buick

Source: Pinterest : Houzz.com originally from Kasey Buick

I picked up a smooth pine “craft” board from Lowe’s.  I believe the board I got is 4 foot long.  I painted it first with black paint using CeCe Caldwell’s Beckley Coal.  Then I added in some Annie Sloan Duck Egg chalk paint in certain spots that I knew I would be sanding. 

SONY DSC

On top of that, I used CeCe Caldwell’s Vintage White.  Once that dried I began sanding to give the board a more aged and distressed look.

SONY DSC

Although I don’t have the talent to hand paint lettering like this, I decided to give a new-to-me technique a try.  I rubbed a pencil on the back of each letter, taped it to the board with blue painter’s tape at the top and then used a ball point pen to trace over the right side of the letters.  

SONY DSC

Taping it at the top allowed me to lift the letter up to make sure it was transferring clearly.  This is how it looks after you’ve done that.

SONY DSC

So that I didn’t smudge the pencil image, I went over the outline of the letters.  I started out using a fine black paint pen but it seemed to work in spurts and stops so I switched to a fine line black Sharpie.   You can see the difference ~ “Hotel” is using the paint pen, “de Paris” is using the Sharpie.  I also figured this would make it easier to paint within the outline of the letters.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Other options for the lettering could be vinyl lettering, stencils, or, if you are artistic and steady enough, free-hand lettering.  The fonts I used were Baskerville Old at a size of 500 for the “Hotel” and “Paris”; for the “de” I used Precious at 350.  I was feeling excited about it once I got “Hotel” all painted in.

SONY DSC

Here it is all painted.

SONY DSC

I painted the letters in using two different small artist’s brushes and black craft paint.  I’m just going to give it a quick sand over the whole thing and apply some Johnson’s Paste Wax.

SONY DSC

I love how it turned out!  I’m looking forward to showing you where I’m going to be hanging this new sign!

Linking up with

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Fall Into Fall at DIY by Design

Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed

 

23 comments:

Okio B Designs said...

Great job! Love that sign and good for you for actually tackling some Pinterest projects. I have thousands pinned that I know I will just never get to.

J

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your sign is so pretty Kathy!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Thanks so much for sharing how you did this. Now I'm going to pin this to my craft board!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kathy, I love it, great post!

Katie

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

I love your sign, Kathy. It turned out wonderful. Making a sign is on my list for so long but I'm always putting it off. Maybe I do a Christmas sign ... or I put it off, lol.
Hugs,
Julia

Shabby chic Sandy said...

You did a great job--love how it turned out :)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Awesome job Kathy!! Looks great!

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks beautiful! You are very creative ~

xo
Pat

Anonymous said...

What a great job! This is a great copycat! I love your sign and can't wait to see it hanging in it's new home!

This N That said...

Cute sign Kathy..Great job as always..You're so creative..

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Very pretty, Kathy. I'm guessing you're hanging it at my house? I can only wish, huh? :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hello Kathy,
I have ben wanting to make one of these signs, so thanks for inspiring me to try it. Yours looks GREAT!

Blessings,
Linda

The Polka Dot Closet said...

OMG!!! That is fabulous, what a great job. I have recently noticed that signs with mixed fonts are the best and so interesting!

Carol

Miss Kitty said...

Hi Kathy! Thanks for that great tutorial on how to make an aged-looking sign. I saw your post over at Linda's "Coastal Charm" blog party...it really drew my eye since I actually stayed at the Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo one time. Very elegant place.

Unknown said...

love how this sign turned out great job

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy,
Love your sign. It turned out great. I love to hand painted signs at times. It is so relaxing and you can control the paint strength. I can see you enjoyed the process and great tutorial you share. Can't wait to see where you display it.
Have a great week.
Hugs

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kathy,
Fantastic job! Thanks again for stopping by!

Hugs,
Debbie

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

Kathy you have done a really great job-love dee x

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

The sign came out fabulous! Good for you for actually working on a project you pinned. I need to start some of those... :)

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

I love the sign, Kathy! Your instructions were so clear. I will for sure use your advice if I finally get around to doing a "grocery" sign for my kitchen.Have a great week! ~ Jamie

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

You did a great job, it's beautiful!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

BRAVO!! Magnifique!!

C'est tres bien!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

I think that looks every bit as good as the one on Pinterest!! Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...