Sunday, February 15, 2015

DIY ~ Bathroom Mirror Frame

This is a good DIY project and not too expensive either.  The molding for this project cost about $60.00.  We have one long mirror that goes down the whole side of one wall over the vanity area in the master bath. 

DSC03314_2714

To break up that length, my husband made frames so that it would look like two hung mirrors.  We chose a decorative molding and he mitered the corners.  You could use those wood rosettes/blocks also.  Here they are pre-painting to check for fit.

SONY DSC

He glued and stapled them (from the back at the joints) together. 

SONY DSC

When the glue dried, I painted them with Old White chalk paint.

SONY DSC

And applied clear and dark wax.  I used the dark wax to bring out the detail in the molding.

SONY DSC

What a difference it has made!

SONY DSC

I love the way the frames turned out and we were able to complete this over a weekend.  This is just a sneak peek right now until I get the bathroom back in order.

SONY DSC

I hope to have the full reveal of the bathroom soon!  I just had to paint the cabinet (you can see what it looked like when I got it here) white, which set me back a few days.  And, of course, I have to accessorize!

13 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the frames, what a fabulous job.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a great idea!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

They turned out AWESOME, Kathy!

Well done, you two! Oh this is going to be such a nice reveal when totally complete. Whoot yay!

NanaDiana said...

I can't wait to see it all pulled together, Kathy. Those frames look great. Love the paint treatment you did to them. xo Diana

White Lace and Promises said...

What a great transformation!

farmhouse-story said...

love the creative way you changed up the mirror, kathy! great job on the framing!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Looks great Kathy. Love the paint technique that you used. Your bathroom will look fabulous!

hugs
Sissie

Okio B Designs said...

It looks gorgeous!

Jeanine

JP said...

Looking good, Kathy...it's what I have been thinking about doing here to our bathroom mirrors. Since we are renting I planned on just using hot glue as a temporary fix.
Can't wait to see the reveal!
JP

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, It looks great. Love the dark wax you used to bring out the frame details. Can't wait to see the completed reveal.
Hugs, CM

Anonymous said...

Kathy, your mirror frame looks wonderful! I love how aging the frame, with dark wax, brought out the details in the wood. You have one talented hubby! I love what I see so far!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Looks so pretty, Kathy! I've always wanted to frame our big bathroom mirror!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful frame and the mirror looks wonderful...I did something similar many years ago using trim moulding and rosettes..You did a great job!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...