Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pretty Little Needle Book

The other night I finally got to something I’ve been wanting to make for a while.  A needle book. 

SONY DSC

I have to admit that for something that is quite small it had me a little intimidated to tackle.  I found a few tutorials online and kind of took a little bit from each.

SONY DSC

I started out by printing images off onto iron-on paper of vintage ads that dealt with sewing.  I ironed the one I chose onto Osnaberg fabric.

SONY DSC

I used a sewing themed fabric for the back and the inside fabric.

SONY DSC

I used some white felt for the “pages” and just added a couple of scrap trim embellishments I had laying around.

SONY DSC

Along with a scrap piece of fabric I just cut with my pinking shears.

SONY DSC

This little needle book will come in handy because I can never seem to find my sewing needles in my pincushion (amongst the straight pins).  This will make it easier to find what I need.

SONY DSC

I didn’t have a hair elastic to use for the closure, so I will probably just add a button and some string or twine to wrap around it for closing.  I have elastic on my list to get because I hope to make a few of these for my Etsy shop.  I have several other images I printed out that I thought would be really cute for needle books.  Each one will be different and one of a kind, so I look forward to sharing those with you.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I love making these sweet keeps, although I haven't made any in a while. Yours turned out just lovely! So pretty!

Okio B Designs said...

Love the image you chose. Such a cute little idea. I'm forever losing my needles too.

Jeanine

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Very sweet!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Very sweet indeed, if you ever get tired of it..........

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

This is so cute, Kathy! Great idea!! ~Zuni

20 North Ora said...

What darling gifts these would make! Great job.

Judy

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, your needle book is precious and always so useful. I love these and have one my mother made years ago in needlepoint. The image you used is so sweet. Have fun creating more.
Have a nice weekend too and Happy Valentine's Day.
Hugs, CM

RuthAnne@ mayfairecottage said...

You chose a darling picture for your cover--love how it looks with the blue stripe fabric. I'm forever losing my needles and could certainly use one of these. Thanks for sharing yours!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute and such a great idea! I love your needle book!

JP said...

That's such a sweet little project, Kathy and quite handy to have at that!
JP

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

So cute, Kathy! I'll bet it's not easy to work with such a small piece! Thanks so much for stopping by my coffee station post, and for your sweet comment! Hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day, too!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Very nice. That would even make a great travel sewing kit. It would tuck nicely into the pocket of a suitcase.

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

What a great idea Kathy and it's so adorable too! I need one of these because I can never find a needle when I need one. Pinning for sure!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Adorable! You did a great job and I'm sure it will come in very handy. Have a wonderful weekend!
xo

farmhouse-story said...

adorable, kathy! such a useful project--i can never find my needles:) happy vday day!

vivian said...

oh my goodness! how stinking adorable that is! YOu should make them and put them in your etsy store. I bet people would buy them. Hope you have something nice planned for Valentines day. supposed to be very cold and stormy here.. so although my husband did invite me out to dinner tonight.. Im cancelling on him! lol!
Happy Valentines Day!
xoxo
vivian

Laura Turner said...

Oh, your needle book is SO sweet and pretty, Kathy! I need to make one of these myself (or buy one of yours)! I have printed on printer fabric. It works very well!

Ivy and Elephants said...

So adorable! What great gifts they would make, too. I love the images that you chose.
Hugs,
Patti

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

So cute! I still have a needle book that a blog reader sent to me about 7 years ago - just love it. I think those make great gifts.

Unknown said...

Oh your little needle-book is darling! Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog. The words that I used on my needle-book I produced in Photoshop and then printed onto fabric.

Hugs
Caroline

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...