Tuesday, November 3, 2009

From Spare & Cold to Warm & Cozy

In preparing our house for the market, I had removed floral arched balloon valances from these windows in our great room/den. It's a very large room that is great for entertaining in. The valances just screamed 90's to me and I intended on getting plain red valances to bring some color into the room.



Needless to say, that never happened {as you can see from the MLS pictures of the room}. After three months of living with it like this {or basically avoiding the room because it felt so spare and blah}, I found drapes on clearance at Target in a red that I really liked and with a design that broke up the solid look a bit.



The pictures below I took tonight right before hanging the drapes.







We took the house off the market for the holiday season because I want to decorate to my hearts content and not stress anymore than I have to. So, with drill in hand, I mounted the hardware and put them up.

I was really liking it with just one window done! I actually started wondering why I never went with drapes in the first place!



Here they are all up. I actually have two more panels that I had bought for the window seat windows, but thought I'd see how I like them this way. I can always add them if I feel it needs it.







I also added a table {that we weren't using} behind the loveseat, and lamps which were originally in my living room.

I think this room is a warm and inviting room again, and these are all things I can leave up for when the house is on the market.

Edited to include pricing: The long panels {54 x 84} were $10.48 per panel; the shorter panels {54 x 63} were $8.74 per panel.

Linking up {as they occur} with:


Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch


DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous



Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk



26 comments:

Anne said...

I'm always amazed by how fabric softens and warms a room up! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like some fabric (and color) to bring life to a room! I love that, and these photos demonstrate it so well. Especially the one where you can see the windows on each side of the fireplace. The panels you chose are so pretty and they make the room much more cozy. Great job, Kathy!
pk @ Room Remix

Jane said...

I love the curtains. They did add some warmth to the room. What a perfect color when you start decorating for Christmas.
Jane

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Well said Pk! The color does add a lot of warmth to the room, good luck when you place your home back on the market!
Janell

Moore Minutes said...

What a difference that made! It TRULY did warm it all up. :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It makes such a huge difference. I like it.

Melissa Miller said...

Kathy they look FANTASTIC!

I always notice how drapes warm up a room and make it feel like home. Gorgeous choice and the red is stunning and very cozy. ~Lovely.

Design Esquire said...

I love it. It makes the room feel so warm. Great job!!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous said...

Those drapes from Tarjet are Fabulous! They really look amazing. Isn't it fun buying things "off the rack" as they say...and it turns out perfect!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Get Your Martha On ~ I totally agree! Even if it's just stationary panels.

Thanks, PK! It really did change the look of the room. It looks so much better in person even!

Absolutely, Jane! Especially since I'm hosting Christmas Eve this year and we will be in this room.

Thank you, Janell! I knew I was going to do red and jumped on these drapes when I saw them online and on sale!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thanks, {L}! I'm loving it!

It really does, Laurel! I can't tell you how many times I was in and out of that room last night just looking at them!

They really are nice for the price, Melissa. Great coincidence is that they are the same red as the pillows I have on the window seat that I got from Kohl's.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Christine ~ In person, they look much better. I'm going to try and get a day time shot this weekend. I'm so pleased with them!

Absolutely, Jane! I just need to get my receipt with the prices and edit that in for Frugalicious Friday.

The Tuscan Home said...

Love the new curtains....it adds a lot of warmth to the room and it looks very elegant! Lovely! ~Liz

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What a beautiful rich color they bring to the room. Lovely!

Roeshel said...

I love the warm the beautiful red drapes add to your room and what a room! :)

Great job!

Roeshel

Tammy@InStitches said...

Fabric always makes such a difference in a room. They look great !

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

That fabric really did the trick! Great transformation !!

Melissa said...

Love how the fabric instantly warms up a room and frames your beautiful windows!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Liz! They are such a warm, rich color.

Thank you Sandy! I think they are working rather well in this room.

I agree, Tammy. It absolutely made a difference here!

Thanks, Kasey!

Thank you, Melissa! I think the red is just the right color for this room.

Lee said...

Just beautiful! Fabulous room!
Lee

jen said...

they look really nice -- and i think that's so comforting and respectful to yourself that you took it off the market for the holidays so that you can enjoy it!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a difference the drapes make. The room looks so finished. Very pretty. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

They really add some nice softness to the windows, especially in such a large room. My boys would love to have room in our family room or basement for a pool table!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh, nice!! The shimmer really caught my eye, love how the light plays off of them. Yes, indeed, much cozier! (as I hang my own head in shame because most of my windows are curtainless...)

Thanks for linking up to SNS #4!

Funky Junk Donna

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a great shade of red... love the shimmer too.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow, Kathy...can't believe what a fabulous look you got for such reasonable cost! Your draperies really give the room that pop of color...just beautiful!
You asked about flash use...no, I didn't use the flash in any of the pics of my tablescape. I actually never use it...just have the setting on my camera so that it doesn't ever come on. Hugs,
Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...