Sunday, November 15, 2009

Living Room Sneak Peek

As we've taken our house off the market until after the holidays, I've decided that I want to "live" in my home again. I'm putting a few more accessories around and have decided to freshen up my living room. This is how it currently was looking {I apologize for nothing ~ well, maybe the picture over the couch, which I just grabbed from the dining room to try and fill that space}.



After reading Rhoda at Southern Hospitality's post about her visit to her sister, and the drapes she suggested her sister buy from Ballard Design, I decided to check out what Ballard's had in an affordable drapery panel. Unfortunately, this led to me looking at their burlap table covers, as well {conveniently, at a new lower price}.

Here is the window before:



I have two of these mauve chairs ~ they are going! They are not very comfortable and were very inexpensive. I believe they were a 2-fer deal from JC Penney many years ago. I do love this black and white chair from Pier 1, but even on sale at $399.99 it is a bit much for me.





Here are my side tables before:





I wound up ordering two burlap table rounds and black and white check drapes.

I moved the lamps you see in these pictures into our big den and bought two black lamps and white shades from Target. Inspiration struck from another blogger for something to put together for over the couch {so that poor little picture can go back in the dining room}.

I am in the midst of having a white slipcover made for the sofa, so pretend my sofa looks like this:

Pottery Barn

Here's a teaser of what I've done so far:





I don't want to give too much away because it won't look right until it's all completed, but at least you can see {sort of} the direction it is heading in.

I could use your help on one thing. I am seriously thinking of painting my coffee table, which is currently a white-washed looking pine ~ you can see it in the first picture above {not enough white and too much pine}. I am leaning toward black {especially since the slipcover for the couch will be white}. I think this room needs the black to ground it. I'd love to hear your opinion on the coffee table.

Linking this post up to Metamorphosis Monday at Susan's Between Naps On The Porch {even though the changes are in the beginning stages}.


25 comments:

Christina said...

Cannot wait to see the finished room. I think black would look great!

Kirsty said...

I say go for black on the coffee table. My favorite black is Black Suede from Behr!

Kirsty

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Oh, I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I love that black & white chair from Pier 1, but almost $400 is pretty dear for one chair. That sofa is going to look great ina white slipcover with the black & white drapes and burlap table covers. Nice choices!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that you should paint the table black, especially since the sofa's going to be white. It will look great! I love the direction you're headed and can't wait to see the full reveal!

pk @ Room Remix

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I can tell it's going to be fabulous. And yes, black is the color your coffee table is meant to be!

Bunny Jean said...

Painting the coffee table black is the way to go.

I'll be back next time to see the "total look".

blushing rose said...

I love everything, Kathy ... fabulous!

Have a great week. TTFN ~ Marydon

Unknown said...

The black and white drapes look so perfect! I can't wait to see the finished look. Thanks for sharing and have a great week.

Charla

Vail said...

Can't wait to see the finished room. I really like the checked drapes and the burlap table covers.

vail

Anne said...

Love the curtains! And the idea of a black coffee table is excellent!

I've been eyeing the big black and white buffalo check curtains at Ballard Designs, but they're pricey, so I don't think I'll be hanging them anytime soon. But I LOVE to watch other people shop there!! ;)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Your sofa is going to look great with its new slipcover! I think with the drapes a black finish on the coffee table would be dramatic....Janell

Jillian said...

Black on the table sounds good, congrats on your progress!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Most definitely BLACK

Cheri

Brenda said...

I think you are right on the table black would bring it together. I'm not surprised you like that chair from the curtain panel you picked up at Good Will. Maybe it will go on sale so it is in your budget.

CosmoGirl Carla said...

My vote is also go with the black, but with a little distressed sanding to bring up just a touch of wood underneath the paint. I think that little bit of wood tone peaking out here and there might bring add a little extra something to the black/natural color scheme you're shooting for.

Good luck on your progress in that room. Can't wait to see how the sofa slipcover turns out. I'm sure it will look just fabulous when you're done!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

It is going to be beautiful..can't wait to see the room completed.
Susan

susan said...

I Love those drapes and the table cover. You MUST paint the coffee table black. I did a breakfast room table (today's post) and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Can't wait to see the slipcover!

2sisters said...

Black for the coffee table definately (plus I think maybe you could steal your goodwill ottoman back to tuck somewhere in here for extra seating.

DesignTies said...

Looking great Kathy!! The drapes and table lamps were terrific finds :-)
And yes... definitely paint the coffee table in black. In a yellow room, with a white sofa... it'll totally ground the space.
Looking forward to seeing the space once you have the slip cover for the sofa and art to hang above!
Victoria @ DesignTies

DesignTies said...

And that fabric I see in your Rainy Saturday post? That would be FAB in pillows for your sofa, especially if you also have a yellow one :-)
Victoria

Debra from Bungalow said...

Well, I did miss this post...Black would be wonderful! I can also see a bit of red in there too.

Blue Creek Home said...

Lovin' your new draperies and burlap tablecloths. The slip cover is going to totally transform the room!! And, yes I like the black idea for the coffee table (with a little distressing maybe)- sounds like black is winning!
Rhonda

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Love your drapes girl...and I would go for black with the coffe table...with the white slip covers just be great...Thanks for sharing ...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Tiaa @ EYInteriors said...

Hi Kathy! I look forward to seeing the final design. I am sure it will look fabulous!

cindy said...

Can't wait to see the finish! I love white slipcovers...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...