Sunday, March 17, 2013

Established Sign

I am still in the process of putting together that gallery wall in my entry/foyer area.  One of the things I decided to do {rather spur of the moment} was a sign that said “Est. 1985” {the year we were married}.   I printed out a 40% off coupon for Michael’s and headed there to see if they had something I could use for the sign.  I was looking for something long and found it.

2013 03 10_0595

This is referred to as the “Innkeeper Sign”.  Perfect for my purposes!  I also purchased two other wood plaques for the two letters I purchased from Hobby Lobby last week.  I proceeded to paint them all black with a Glidden satin black we already had in the garage.

2013 03 10_0596

I do like the shape of this.

2013 03 10_0597

After the paint was dry, I pulled out some stencils I already had and pulled together the letters and numbers I needed.  Using a flat white paint, which we also already had, I stenciled the text on the board.

SONY DSC

Once that dried, I wanted to make it look a bit aged and distressed, so I sanded it a little bit.

SONY DSC

2013 03 11_0616

Then I put a coat of satin polyurethane over the top. 

SONY DSC

I added two sawtooth picture hangers to the back. Since it is long I thought two would be best to have it hang straight. 

SONY DSC

For just the cost of the board ~ $4.69 ~ I got a new sign, customized for us, to add to my gallery wall.

Linking up with

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Swing Into Spring at DIY by Design

Open House Party at No Minimalist Here

Treasure Hunt Thurs. at From My Front Porch To Yours

The Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush

Be Inspired at Common Ground

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

30 comments:

Olive said...

It looks great and I like that you did it in black and white.

20 North Ora said...

Kathy - That looks great. I love anything done in black and white.

Judy

Unknown said...

You did a great job on the sign. It looks really good.

Homeroad said...

Nice work Kathy! I love your established sign!
Susan

Kristen Whitby said...

So pretty! I love how it turned out!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Kathy you did a wonderful job with that sign! I love that it has meaning for you!

Unknown said...

Cute sign! Can't wait to see the entire wall when it's finished. Just trying to catch up on everything right now. Lucky you, finding those pieces of Friendly Village Johnson Brothers! One of my favorite patterns.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

What a sweet tribute to your marriage, Kathy. Looks great.

Okio B Designs said...

It came out great! Can't wait to see the entire wall!

Jeanine

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Love the sign! Love the price even more! It will fit in good on the gallery wall. Might have to "copy" that one!

farmhouse-story said...

this is awesome,kathy! i think i need to do this--very cute:)

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

Kathy I definately need to borrow this idea...
hugs

Micupoftea said...

Love it. easy-peasy and charming! Congrats on 27 yrs. We, also, were married in '85. Have a wonderful week. Visiting from Dedicated House :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Kathy,
Thank you for sharing your cute and thrifty sign at my party (I was also married in 1985).

Blessings,
Linda

DIYbyDesign said...

What a great sign. I love the shape of it too.

Anonymous said...

Kathy I love your sign! What a great idea to do that. Your home tour looks great too. Love, Wanda

Kim said...

Great idea Kathy!! I love how it turned out. Have a great week.
xoxo,
Kim

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

Your sign looks fantastic! I love to add personal touches to my home like that! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

The Domesticated Princess said...

This looks fantastic! I've been wanting to paint something similar, which is how I found your post. I don't have vinyl letters, and it seems everyone uses those, so I was thrilled to see how good your project turned out with stencils since that's what I plan to use.

Art and Sand said...

Wonderful sign - love the shape you chose.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Love how that turned out! Obviously I need a REALLY weathered board for my 1972......

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

The sign looks great, Kathy. I've always loved those established signs, but have never gotten around to making one for myself.

Cynthia said...

Such a cute sign and idea.

Cynthia

This N That said...

Looks great..Nice idea..

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Kathy,

I like your sign, great job!

Lisa @ HouseOfFabForLess said...

Love your sign! Cute idea! I may need this one - I just made a hometown sign the other week! (stopping in from Treasure Hunt Thursday!) ~ Lisa

My Dream Canvas said...

What a lovely blog you have. I am following you and I hope you will do the same. I am also hosting a Giveaway. Do join in if you like it :)

Kate @ Eating in the Shower Blog said...

I love this! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Diane said...

Love your sign ... since a year married won't work for me, thinking about using the year in which I bought my home. Thanks for the cute idea!
Diane

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Gorgeous! (Look, it is the same piece :)
This would work for me too, it's the year I was born ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...