Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Creepy Altered Altoid Tin

SONY DSC

To try and get myself motivated to get moving in some creative way, I decided to get the Altoid tins I’ve been saving together and get them spray painted.  We’ve had such a lovely summer this year and one day when there was no humidity and the temps were in the 70’s, I got several painted.

SONY DSC

I used spray paint that I already had ~ a chalkboard paint, orange, black, and a fuchsia pink.  I did two in each color.  So they are prepped and ready to go for crafting purposes! 

SONY DSC

Since I’ve got Fall and Halloween on the brain for some reason {this is early for me!}, I decided to go with it and do something Halloween themed and, after ordering some supplies from Alpha Stamps, I decided to put something together.  

SONY DSC

I found some great papers, collage sheets, embellishments, and ribbon on the Alpha Stamps site.  Plus, I pulled out some supplies I already had on hand.

SONY DSC

With a vague idea of what I wanted to do, I got started.

SONY DSC

I started with a black painted tin and traced the papers I was going to be using and cut them out.  From tips I’ve read on other altered Altoid tin posts, I traced the bottom of the tin for the top lid and two inside papers.  I used sample papers Alpha Stamps included with my order.

SONY DSC

The sticker embellishments I bought at Hobby Lobby.  I used those on the top of the lid, as well as the skeleton on the inside lid. 

SONY DSC

On the other side I used one of my collage sheets of the Master of Macabre ~ Edgar Allen Poe.  One of the pictures just needed a little bit of trimming to fit inside the tin.

SONY DSC

For the rim of the inside I found that my fabric tape measure was the width I needed so I used that to measure the paper {also a sample sheet sent with my order} and cut it to fit.  I used adhesive tape/dry adhesive to attach the papers to the tin. 

SONY DSC

I didn’t have a raven to add to the Edgar Allen Poe picture, so I used a bat instead.  The bat was part of a bunch of cut out pieces that Alpha Stamps also sent along with my order.

SONY DSC

The black and orange ribbon is also from Alpha Stamps.  I thought that would work perfectly for going around the outside of the tin and it did work well. 

SONY DSC

I then used E6000 adhesive and glued four skeleton heads to the bottom as feet.   They are still drying here, but I couldn’t wait to get some pictures taken!

SONY DSC

Except for a couple of tins I put some Christmas paper on a couple of years ago, this is my first altered Altoid tin.  I’m glad I finally made one after saving so many inspiration ones to my Craft Projects board on Pinterest! 

17 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

OMW, you are so creative. This is amazing and so fun.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

OMG Kathy that turned out super cute!! Love it!!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is great, Kathy...love the photo of Poe inside and the little skulls...

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Well that's pretty creepy altoid cute! I know it's scary, but it's also so very cute. Really love it you creative devil you!

Anonymous said...

Katy, this is adorable! What a fun and creative project! I have to give this one a try too! Thanks for sharing it!

Stitchfork said...

That is adorably creepy! Love it Kathy!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, this is adorable. You did a fabulous job of altering this tin. Love it and your creativity!!
Have fun!!
Hugs

Laurel Stephens said...

What a fun project. I love little boxes with surprises inside. The skull "legs" are my favorite. I want to do one of these now! :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

wow...that tin is terrific!...this is the first time I have seen an altered Altoid tin!...Those old pics are great!

farmhouse-story said...

these are so cute, kathy! tfs!!

Okio B Designs said...

Looooooooooooove these! They came out perfect and I can't get over the skull "feet."

Jeanine

Ivy and Elephants said...

You did great, this so awesome!
Looks so fun to make for the holidays.
Hugs,
Patti

Blondie's Journal said...

What a really cute idea! You really have that creative gene! I never would have thought of all this detail but I think that would be the real fun of working with something so small. Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve for fall!

Jane xxx

PS...the stores have Halloween candy out already. Doesn't sound like it will be all that fresh in two months!! Ha!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Kathy, I love this! The skeleton heads for feet is genius. Well done! laurie

Jacqueline said...

What a fun project! Hubby just threw away a really big Altoid tin! Have to give this fun project a try. I just love the little skeleton heads! OOh, Christmas ones would be so fun and the kiddies would love finding them around the house.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That turned out really cool Kathy! I like the skull "feet"!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

So clever. Sorry I missed this when you first posted.

You are amazingly crafty, my friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...