Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Artist Behind The Etsy ~ Shades Up & Co!

button_edited-1

Being a part of the Etsy community, not only as a seller but as a customer, I have come across many talented individuals.  With this series, I hope to introduce you to some of these creative people, finding out where they find their inspiration, and a little bit more about them.

Good morning!  Today’s Etsy artist feature is Jen from Shades Up & Co!  I am coveting just about everything in Jen’s Etsy shop!  I am smitten with all the ruffles.  I love that her pieces are affordable custom pieces and I think you are going to love seeing some of her creations today.

shadesupandco.banner

Good morning!  My name is Jen Morgan and I am the Owner/Creator behind Shades Up & Co!  I am honored that Kathy has asked me to tell you a little bit about myself and my shop this morning!

The first thing you will notice is I use a LOT of exclamations!  I am so very excited and passionate about what I do that I even include them in the name of my shop!  Ha!

I started out many years ago sewing draperies and accessories in my home. I wanted to open a workroom for designers but I couldn't get my foot in the door so to speak. So I decided to open my workroom up to the public. I was featured on all my local tv stations as well as becoming the Midday Decorator at one of the local stations.  I became extremely busy with a wait list of more than a year.  I eventually closed this business after several years as my business grew, but my house didn't!  I worked so many hours a week sewing and designing that I totally burned myself out! The last thing I wanted to do was sew!!

Fast forward many years later and the desire to create and sew was still burning!  Now with more time on my hands, I decided to open my business back up again. My daughter Tiffini has a blog and an Etsy shop and she featured my TIFFINI drop cloth panels on her blog. She wanted me to design her something different, but simple, and also made out of a drop cloth.  I received several requests to make these panels and that is what brought me to sell on Etsy.  So basically I have to thank my oldest daughter for bringing me to the Etsy community!

image

I then came out with a line of drop cloth panels that have become quite popular. I love using the drop cloths as panels and adding ruffles made out of muslin to give the panels a shabby chic look.

 image

I have a fairly large family which consists of 4 children, 14 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren! This is where most of my creativity comes from! What makes “me” smile is when I see “them” smiling at something that they have ask me to create for them. Smiles like those are priceless!

My next endeavor for my Etsy shop was the KAMI panels named after my middle daughter and is still my most popular panel today! Then I designed the EMILEE which is named after one of my granddaughter’s. I started receiving so many requests for custom sized panels that “most” of my Etsy business became custom orders only.

image

image

image

I have also added shower curtains to my Etsy shop. Some of the curtains are made using drop cloths and some using KONA cotton!

image

image

image

And my most recent addition is my crib skirts and dust ruffles to match my panels. I will be designing more panels with matching crib skirts and will offer them as sets in the near future.

image

image

image

My goal is still the same as it was when I first opened my workroom up to the public over 20 years ago; to offer a custom affordable panel at an everyday price!  I strive to have the best possible customer service that I can offer because that is what helps set you apart!  With so many choices of beautiful curtains on Etsy, I am still amazed and honored that people allow me to help them decorate their homes! I design and create everything solely by myself. That is why my wait list is longer than most Etsy sellers...up to 12 weeks....but I hope that when people receive their item, they feel it was definitely worth the wait! 

Thank you Kathy for inviting me to share my Etsy shop with your readers!  I am honored that you felt my shop worthy of The Artist Behind the Etsy feature.

Blessings & Enjoy!

Thanks so much, Jen!  It has been a pleasure to read your Etsy story and see your beautiful creations!  You can visit Jen’s Etsy shop here.

12 comments:

chateau chic said...

So happy to meet Jen! Her creations are wonderful!!! Heading over to check out her etsy.
Mary Alice

Okio B Designs said...

Wow, just wow! Really gorgeous stuff!

Jeanine

must love junk said...

Wow, Jen does some seriously beautiful work!! :)
Susan

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, what a wonderfully talented etsy shop owner you share with us today.
Hi Jen, love your designs and your story is amazing. I just visited your shop and your work is fantastic.
Much Success!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hi, Kathy! I loved reading the Jen's story of her creativity and business. What a talented lady! Love her designs!

Jen Morgan said...

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments! :) And thank you again Kathy for inviting me to share my Etsy shop! Blessings & Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely shop! I love Jen's style! She has so many wonderful romantic items! What a talented gal! Thanks for sharing her Etsy shop with us!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Loved this post and all the ruffles!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Hugs,
Deb

Ana said...

It was very nice meeting Jen. I love to sew and can appreciate how much time and effort goes into creating these beauties. They are absolutely beautiful. Thanks for introducing her to us Kathy. Wishing you both a wonderful Sunday evening.

Hugs,
❤️Ana

farmhouse-story said...

thanks of sharing, jen, kathy! i love all of the ruffles!

Cynthia said...

Jen is one talented lady. What great work.

Cindy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful...reminds me of the old "Dorothy Ruffled Originals"...I think they are still around!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...