Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Carving Out Space

We are long overdue for a decorating/design post here on the Creative Home Expressions blog.  I was starting to feel bad, but if you think about the projects I’ve been making ~ well, they are all home decor related accessories really!  To give you something a little more design related, I thought this might be interesting to some who are looking for more storage for all the organizing going on.

storage.8

Who wouldn’t like more storage?  I found some inspiration pictures that show how you can carve out storage from spaces you might think are “wasted spaces”.   I’ve even included one of my own home at the end.

This first picture below I love; because it’s so open, it doesn’t make the area feel closed in.  They’ve mixed books with accessories {which is always a great idea with any book shelving}.  I also like how the small sofa fits in between the towers to create a cozy nook.

storage.1

This option would actually allow you to create a window seat where there was none before by surrounding the window with shelving like this.

storage.2

A lot of the newer homes in my area have these bonus rooms where there are lots of angled ceilings and dormers.  This is a great use of working with the architectural hand you are dealt in creating storage.

storage.3

What about those older homes, where there are also nooks and crannies or oddly shaped walls or ceilings?  This little storage area takes full advantage of it with a place to store glassware, wine, and table linens. 

storage.4

Here’s one for the more contemporary or modern home.  This storage is cut right into the wall under a staircase.   No need to worry about all those wires showing here!

storage.5

Love the use of this space.  It’s built into the wall; it offers shelving for open display and drawers for hidden storage.

storage.6

You can see how narrow these bookcases are, but how well they fit into this hallway.

storage.7

And, here’s mine.  When we redid our master bathroom a few years ago, I wanted to include a niche area by the tub for a place to put candles, bath items ~ pretty little things.  My husband tiled it and I had glass shelves made for it.

myniche

Rethink some of those areas that you don’t even give a second thought to as being able to perform storage duty.  Sometimes those nooks and cranny’s work out the best!

All images except for my own bathroom photo are from BHG.com.

 

33 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Kathy,
I have always loved the idea of adding storage under the steps. I think it's a great look.
I received my package yesterday afternoon. Thank you again for the wonderful giveaway. I'm hoping to post about it tonight or tomorrow morning.
Hope you're having a good week.
Jane

Content in a Cottage said...

Kathy...
You really found some great images to illustrate "found" storage. I love the under-the-stairs closets too. Great post.
Rosemary

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great idea. I had great storage under the staircase in a previous house. Loved it. Your niche by the tub is wonderful. Hugs, Marty

One Cheap B*tch said...

I'm with Jane, I love storage under the steps and I love the one in particular with the baskets showing through the doors. Lovely!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I love built-ins. Adore them. I was so wishing when we bought this house they would have been able to save some of the original built-ins but it wasn't in the cards. Building them is so expensive! I had the honor of designing our neighbor's home (and tagged on a ton of built-ins), only the bookshelves were approved. But man, do they ever look fabulous!

Christina said...

Great storage ideas! I always have wanted to open up under our stairs but haven't been brave enough.

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I love "found" storage tucked into niches!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Great pictures and inspiration. I love little cubbies and squeezing every bit of space out of your home.

Crafty Sisters said...

Great ideas! I have a strange bonus room with angled ceilings, and this gives me a great idea of how to organize the kid's toys and books. Thanks!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Thank you for the great storage ideas! I definately could need some more storage.

brokeintrovert said...

Love this post! You won't believe it, but my husband had the very same idea with the glass shelves and tile...he just didn't use it in our house...market in our area is very depressed...we wouldn't get the monies back out of the house right now. Our bathroom is functional and not too horribly ugly (it was remodeled in 1999-2000)- a complete gut because we had to...city violation list when we purchased home in 1999.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

neat ideas Kathy...love the under the stairs storage in the first photo.. I could do that but it'd block my cellar stairs:(
have a great day!
paula:)

Sonny G said...

Kathy, great ideas~!! I think you just helped me solve a 7 year issue in my dining room.. You are my creative Angel today... thank you

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a window seat surrounded by bookshelves. Wish I was just hangin' out in one of those today. :-)

Kristens Creations said...

Hi Kathy, love all the pictures you showed and your niche is wonderful! What a great place to put pretty things...you need to get you some rub n buff! It's great stuff. Have a great day, Kristen

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I love your beautiful niche. I wish we had thought to do that in our bathroom...what a lovely place for display...and I am always looking for more display space;)!!!

Thanks for your visit earlier!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Heathahlee said...

I love the idea of a window seat surrounded by shelves! Our front window would be perfect for that!

LOVE your bathroom shelves, too.

Angie Holden said...

Thanks for the inspiration! And your visit today! :)

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

Hi Kathy,
This is such a great post! Especially the pic with the little couch stuck it the space. I was going to help a woman decorate her hair salon and this was one of the ideas I thought of for some of the seating, and the shelves could hold all of the shapmoos for sale. The job fell through, but it would have been fun. ALL of these ideas are so creative. I want to do one of these all the way around my french doors in our family room.
Kelly

Room to Inspire said...

I love little carved out spaces in homes. I was actually just looking around my house this weekend checking out all of the walls/spaces I could cut into!

Chelsea

Nancy said...

Hi Cathy,
I Love creating Unique storage spaces, or having something useful, practical built in. Some homes just don't have enough space for storage these days. One goes to downsize, retire, but then......where do you put all the Grandkids and their belongings? Then you are upsizing again.....like we are now, Yikes!
Huggs, Nancy
www.coeurdalenegifts.com

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Hi Kathy,
These are all great solutions, but I really love that first one under the steps! I had a closet like that once when I lived in an old Queen Anne style home, but the door was solid. I like how they used glass in this one. Very pretty!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Kathy~ I appreciate any ideas to create storage space, especially for small areas. I like the cutouts and bench seating with storage great two-fer.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

The French Bear said...

Excellent idea, I love nooks and secret storage places.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I truly appreciate every comment and every friend that I meet.
Hugs,
Margaret B

Maria Killam said...

I would love to have that kind of a storage space!! And then sometimes we just need to get organized, as your post says!!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Those are good solutions. We have a closet under our steps and there really is quite a bit of space there.

Manuela

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Kathy, thanks for all the great ideas! I especially love the under the stairs cabinets, now if I only had stairs.:) Your bathroom niche is beautiful, too. xo Lidy

Amy Kinser said...

Thanks so much for stopping my blog and commenting on my mantel. I always love visitors.

And, thanks for the storage suggestions.

Phyllis @Around the House said...

love the pictures of the wonderful storage places, i am always looking for new places to store things and especially where I can get to them easily...loved the french door under the stairs.....

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

These are all great ideas. I especially like the one that creates a window seat! And all those areas to accessorize.

Pretty!

Lou Cinda

Unknown said...

Great post! I know a lot of people that could use this advise! Thanks for stopping by. You can ALWAYS send me an email :) Just had a lot of stuff hit all at once, along with the holiday and *BOOM* its the middle of January! LOL!

Sherri Blum, CID said...

I LOVE finding creative ways to add storage and especially love carving out a special space under the stairs! I find myself having to get very creative when decorating small bedrooms for my clients at Jack and Jill Interiors. Your images provide great inspiration for future clients. Thanks for sharing...I'll be back!

Playing Sublimely said...

love all these pics!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...