Friday, January 22, 2010

Thrifty Finds

I haven’t been to Goodwill since early December and I was itching to get in there.  When hubby told me to look for a piece to put the flat panel television on in our bedroom, so that he doesn’t have to mount it to the wall ~ well, you don’t have to tell me twice!

I figured before I look to buy something new, let me see what I can find at Goodwill.  Well, I found nothing at Goodwill.  The Goodwill I go to doesn’t have too much in furniture pieces {although, my son did get that brand new storage ottoman, with the tags from Target still on it for $24.99}.   I found these things instead!

IMG_4479_2167
Projects came to mind as soon as I saw a few of these things.  The silver trays just said to me, “here’s your chance to try chalkboard paint” and I said, “Yes, it is!”.  These were probably the most I paid for any one item ~ $7.99 and $6.99.  I wasn’t sure if that was good or not, but they were shiny and I kind of go into a dazed state when I see shiny things.
IMG_4483_2171
I couldn’t resist this cute little clock!  I love it!  It’s a whimsical little piece even if it is plastic.  It was $1.49 and when I got home and put batteries in it, it worked!  The cute little pendulum swings back and forth, too!  Too much cuteness!  I just cleaned it and added it to my mantel in the den {as of this posting it's now on my foyer chest}.  The little shoe was $1.99 and is on a shelf in my closet.
IMG_4502_2177
I almost didn’t get these leaf shelves.  I stood and looked at them for a good 5 minutes before I thought, “What would Miss Mustard Seed do?”.  Well, of course, she’d get them and paint them!   At $1.99 each it was a good deal.  Everything is intact; that color just needs to go.  What do you think?  White or black for use in my living room?
IMG_4481_2169

As soon as I saw these cute little teacups and saucers I knew they would be perfect for pincushions!  You can see how small they are using the jewelry pieces for scale.  Sherry over at Creations From My Heart makes some gorgeous pincushions and I thought I’d try my hand at it.  I have so many sample fabric pieces lying around that I’m sure I’ll find something I can use for these.   This was $1.96 for all four pieces.
IMG_4482_2170

While checking out, I saw a couple of pieces of jewelry in the case and asked to see them.  The gold piece is a pin with a filigree design to it and the other turned out to be a pair of clip-on earrings with these great dangles.   I thought these might make great embellishments to some future project so I got those as well.  $2.99 for the earrings and $1.99 for the pin. 
IMG_4484_2172
All in all, I spent about $35.00!  Not bad and it gives me at least three totally different projects I can work on. 

Linking up to Frugalicious Friday over at Finding Fabulous! 


The Ashley Brooke Design Giveaway for 10 Valentine's Day cards ends tonight at 8:00 p.m. EST.   Don't forget to enter!


18 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Oh, great finds, the clock is just too adorable! Even better that it works, funny that was a bonus...

You've inspired me to head over to one in my area today! Janell

Stephanie @ BonaFide said...

Great finds! I love the leaf shelves. I say paint them white.
Today is my free day, I think I will hit up the thrift store!

Oh, and forgot to mention that I love, love, love your new white slipcover. Yay! It's finally here!

2sisters said...

What great finds! How about oil rubbed bronze for the leaf shelves?
teri

Miss Obara said...

Those are all good finds. I can't wait to see how the sconces turn out! and the silver trays! and the earrings! and oh, the tea cups!
Have fun with your new projects!

Red Door Home said...

Love the silver trays. You certainly had another sucessful trip to Goodwill.

Christina said...

HA! I have that same clock I bought it beacuse I thought it was adorable, but mine doesn't work :(

Anonymous said...

Wow, girl you did good!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Good stuff, Kathy. I dooo love that little clock. Oh, and the leaf shelves - definite possibilities there. I'm sure you'll be glad you didn't pass them by.

Oh, did you ever end up finding that piece of furniture??? LOL

Room to Inspire said...

Great finds - the clock is too cute. And definitely a bonus that it worked! I can't wait to see all the upcoming projects. Have a great weekend!

Chelsea

Sherri Blum, CID said...

Why do my local Goodwill stores never have such great stuff?! I might have to become your new shopping buddy...

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Okay, all of this is awesome! You had a really good day!! Love the tree shelves and those silver platters!!

Lucky!!

Lou Cinda

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Oooh..you got lots of fun and pretty things! nice thrifting!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Great finds girl...love the little clock..May you have a great weekend my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

jen said...

just went to goodwill today - what's a girl to do on a rainy day? i was looking for a platter as well to chalk-paint - saw the idea in pottery barn - you got lots of fun stuff!

Unknown said...

You have some great finds, love the little clock, it's to cute. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
Sandy

Jane said...

Fabulous treasures. Of course I love the silver! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the shelves.
Jane

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

You got some great things at Goodwill Kathy! I didn't have a whole lot of luck there myself this week but you never know. Some days it is a wasted trip and others you make out like you did today! Well done!

Blue Creek Home said...

Great haul!!!

And, I'm thinkin' that I would paint those cute branch shelves white enamel!!! I keep wondering how silver leaf would look (with black showing through here and there) especially with black or white pretties sitting on them????? And more of your silver accessories scattered around the room.

Your slip cover for the sofa changed everything. And, the burlap draped tables on each side...fabulous!!!

You are totally rocking that room!
Rhonda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...