Saturday, January 30, 2010

Have You Seen My Keys?

I couldn’t resist buying these Pottery Barn keys ~ 7 keys for $19.95!  I’ve read several other blogs where others have also purchased them or did a PB look-alike project with keys they had or found elsewhere.  I think that mine more closely resemble Jane’s at Mamie Jane’s.  Anyway you look at it, this can be a great wall decor project for your home or to give as a gift.
IMG_4166_1925 
I had picked up this remnant fabric from Joann’s that I used on the back of a pillow I made for my Dad at Christmas.  It seems to be a linen type fabric.  I had enough left over to do some other projects.

IMG_4416_2116
I had two of these pictures, which I knew were going to be redone somehow, and this project seemed perfect for it.  I removed the picture and spray painted the frame black.  I used the backing from the picture and hot glued the fabric to the backing.
IMG_4560_2223
IMG_4564_2226

I then lined up the keys how I liked them laid out and made some pencil marks.  I thought I might use hot glue, but this is not a shadowbox frame nor is it deep enough for me to have the glass over the keys.  I didn’t think hot glue would hold up over time so I wanted to “sew” the keys to the backing using the little holes in the top of the key.
IMG_4567_2228

I had a couple of tags that had a very thin twine-like tie and thought that might work.  So I picked up this hemp twine in the jewelry section of Michaels, as well as this package of assorted needles. 
IMG_4626_2257
IMG_4630_2259
It was very difficult pushing this huge needle through the fabric and backing so to move things along quicker, I made marks and drilled holes through it.  It was quite the job and did grab onto the fabric in spots, but wound up being what worked best for me.  It took me about an hour to “sew” the keys onto the backing.
IMG_4631_2260
IMG_4633_2261
I attached D rings to the frame for hanging.  Since it was such a long frame and had a little weight to it with the keys, I felt it was best to have something on both ends.
IMG_4680_2284
IMG_4679_2283

Here it is ~ finally done!
IMG_4681_2285  IMG_4682_2286
Now if I can just find a small chest or table for that wall . . .

Linking up with:
Funky Junk Interior’s Saturday Night Special
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch
Make My Monday at Twice Remembered
DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land
It’s So Very Cheri



41 comments:

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Love them Kathy, you did a great job! I am also inlove with your staircase, so beautiful!
Thanks for the sweet note that you left me on my little tater bug, I promise you K. there is nothing like grannyhood. lol

Jane said...

Hi Kathy,
Your project turned out great! I just love old keys and any project that includes them.
Thanks for the link back to my project!!
Jane

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I've been eyeballing those keys too. I think the price is real reasonable as well. Love how you decided to display them. I may need to "rip-off" your idea! ;o) Hope you won't mind!

Thanks for sharing.

One Cheap B*tch said...

Your's came out great! And I love the place you found to hang them! =)

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

This is an impressive project Kathy!! I really like this and thanks for showing us how you attached the keys by sewing them on. Perfect!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Your keys look great!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your keys look just gorgeous. What a great idea. Love them. Hugs, Marty

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Nice work, Kathy! It looks really good.

Charity said...

Oh, you did a great job. I love the long frame, it really adds something extra. Thanks for sharing.

Cha Cha

Catherine said...

I love how this project turned out! Great job.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOVE the keys! They are the coolest. I've wanted to do the same thing. May have to check out our Pottery Barn one day. Just for the keys. :)

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Blue Creek Home said...

I have always wanted to do one of these! You did a great job.
Rhonda

René said...

That is very clever! I love old keys and they look nice against the texture of the fabric.

Kathysue said...

Hi Kathy, this looks great, you did a very good job and so clever. I did a post on keys to give to a loved one for Valentines day on my blog, this would take it a step further. Great Job,Kathysue

Kammy said...

Super cute - love it - job well done !
Kammy

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Love the clever art piece. I have always liked the old skeleton keys and this is a great way to show them off.
♥, Susan

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

LOVE THIS! I did something similar years ago, but I love the twiney jute you used! Great idea!

I have a thang for skeleton keys!

Wonderful idea!

Lou Cinda

trish said...

Love it! Great look and super tutorial.

Anonymous said...

The keys are are such a fun option for unique art and I love the price. Good job!

Allison Shops said...

I have a thing for keys too, and put several from my grandfather's furniture store in a shadow box years ago. Yours look nice.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love these PB keys....they lok great in your frame - god job

xinex said...

I love the keys and I love what you did to them. Very nice!...Christine

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

What a fun project! They look great.

Christi @ A Southern Life

The Horton Family said...

The keys look fabulous! I am a huge PB fan also, and you did a fantastic job! Thanks for the idea!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Love the keys! I can't wait to do something like this.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love keys and you did a great job...oh a little chest or table would be so sweet under it!

Diann said...

Hi Kathy!

it looks wonderful! it really turned out great.

Unknown said...

Great job! You always provide wonderful tutorials! Love the results! I think the middle key might fit my Grandfather clock ha! ;)

Cheers!
Tina

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Love that Kathy! That turned out really great!

Michelle said...

I love this!!! And I'm kicking myself because I recently came across a bunch of old keys that I held up and commented on, but didn't buy because I wouldn't know what to do with them. If only...I had read this first!!!

Great project. Looks very nice.

Blondie's Journal said...

Kathy,

This is a great project! Thanks for the step by step and acknowledging when you ran in to problems or had to change your procedure. It's a project I'd love to try. The framed keys look wonderful hanging on your wall and I think a small table below is the perfect answer to finish off the look. Great job!!

xoxo
Janie

stephanie h said...

Looks great! I've been eyeing those keys at PB too!

Anonymous said...

Looks great, I love the keys!

Heidi said...

Hi Kathy,
The keys look great. I think it was clever of you to sew them on. That way for sure they're not going anywhere!Putting them all in one frame makes a very graphic statement. Nice job!
Stop by sometime,
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Unknown said...

I really love this. It totally looks like pottery barn! You should be proud of the result.

Danielle said...

I love what you did with the keys! I ordered them online last week and cannot wait until mine arrive :) No idea how I'm going to display them yet.

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Kathy, this is fabulous and I love how you didn't have to spend the ridiculous price they wanted for this. So awesome!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I really like how this turned out. Did you get the keys online, or are they available in the store? Great job!

laura said...

Kathy, I like your plan for that area. knockoffwood.blogspot.com has great plans for little tables you could build yourself. Just an idea.

Its So Very Cheri said...

I love it, it will be on my favs.

Cheri

Its So Very Cheri said...

I added your button to my side bar

cheri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...