Sunday, January 3, 2010

Organizer {A Recycled Project}

IMG_4306_2024
I was throwing this Vanity Fair cardboard napkin holder out into the recycling, when I stopped and thought it was a neat size and shape.  I put it on the side thinking it might be useful for something.
IMG_4290_2008
Just like most of you, I have organizing on my mind this January.  It came to me that I could probably use it to help me organize.  I decided this would work to hold the tags and stickers I’ve picked up the last few months {and which really do not have a place to be stored at the moment}, but they needed some kind of divider.
IMG_4293_2011
Since I was home because it snowed {again}, I gathered all my scrapbook papers,  Mod Podge, scissors, the stickers and tags, and two manila folders that were destined to be planners {which I made here}.    The manila folders, folded into their planner state, fit perfectly in this cardboard holder.
IMG_4289_2007
IMG_4292_2010
I traced all four sides of the box around the papers I wanted to use, cut them out and Mod Podged them on {you could also use craft glue}.  I thought it might be good to stabilize the bottom a bit, so I took the cardboard that holds scrapbook paper from one of those little scrapbook kits {the ones that come with the paper and embellishments}.   I measured the bottom and cut the cardboard, which already had scrapbook paper on it, and just inserted it into the bottom.  It was a tight fit so I didn’t glue it.
IMG_4294_2012
IMG_4296_2014
IMG_4297_2015
Here it is all papered.
IMG_4299_2017
While that was drying, I cut papers to put on the two divider pieces and Mod Podged those on. 
IMG_4301_2019
I thought adding a little something to the front would be nice so I took one of the tags that I actually made this little organizer for {a fleur design} and glued it to the center of one of the long sides.
IMG_4302_2020
IMG_4303_2021
I still need the paper on the dividers to dry a bit, but here is what it looks like basically done.  I plan on labeling the dividers {i.e. “fleurs”, “crowns”, “Christmas”, etc.} to make it easy to find and store them.
IMG_4304_2022
Here is what it would look like with my stickers, tags and small rub-on packages in it.
IMG_4306_2024
You can see that once I lay them into the divider, there will be room for labeling and I’ll be able to find exactly what I’m looking for!
IMG_4307_2025
I was thinking of what else you could use this for.  If you have an office with written phone messages, you could label the dividers with the days of the week and keep your phone messages organized; maybe business cards; recipe cards for the week; bills; receipts; stamps & return address labels; or even the next project on your list!
Storage and organization pretty enough to keep out on your desk, counter or craft table!

Linking up with Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch
metamorphosismonday
Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick
beforeAndAfterButton[2]
DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land

DIY Day

Also linking up with It's So Very Cheri.

37 comments:

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a brilliant idea! You are a clever girl. It turned out so well and one would never guess it was trash-bound at one point. Great work, Kathy!

Tammy@InStitches said...

I really like this, it's so pretty !

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Cute project Kathy! Great recycling project...love the colors! ~LA

Heather Henderson said...

i love it - what a great idea!! I'll be on the look out for supplies to make my own.

Kirsty said...

My gosh you are a creative woman! It's nonstop!

Good work!

Atticmag said...

My gosh, I would have never thought of that, but it is adorable. Really like the paper combo you chose too. What a sweet container that would be for giving a gift-basket type of gift. Very cute!
Jane T.

dee dee said...

What a fantastic idea! Love the thrifty use of something that normally would be thrown out! Perfectly creative!
Dee Dee

One Cheap B*tch said...

What a smart idea! I just tried organizing my craft room and your right, you need a separate place for your stickers, tags, etc. Love it!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great project - thanks for sharing with us.

LouLou said...

As usual, you're a genius!

Kammy said...

Hi Kathy !
That is too cute !
Yes, in the 25 years of marriage - I have never thrifted or bought so many dishes as I have this last year, LOL !
Happy New Year and look forward to seeing more of your blog for 2010 !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Aaron said...

Love it! Scrapbook paper has so many wonderful uses :)

Melissa Miller said...

Kathy what a truly creative idea! It is really beautiful and I adore the paper you used for it.

Yes...Alex does give me the "look" over the pillows. He! :)

René said...

Very pretty! Love your color combos.

Allison Shops said...

Great idea. I spent several hours today organizing. Something about the new year gets me going every time!

Jane said...

Aren't you clever! Isn't it funny how you look at things differently knowing that you might be able to create something out of it? Even my husband saves certain things for me now knowing that I could use it in my craft room!
Your project was creative, fabulous, functional...perfect.
Jane

Maria Killam said...

That is so pretty! Is January all about organizing? Makes sense cause all the bling is gone. Thanks for your comment :)

Tina Schiefer said...

So inspiring....

1. Here I am making plans to get more organized this year and get rid of stuff.

2. Then, here I am thinking about all the stuff I've been saving to repurpose.

3. Finally, now I'm re-thinking getting rid of it - 'cause it can be re-purposed.

Ohhhh, the dilemma of it all.

Tina

Taija said...

Way too cute, and clever, I love it!

~ Regan said...

Those boxes are so cute! You did a wonderful job on them!

I wish I would have dicovered your blog yesterday! I totally missed out on your wonderful giveaway! I'm having my own, if you want to pop over and take a peek!
http://mamacancraft.blogspot.com

Greet Lefèvre said...

What a wonderful idea!You are so creative!
xx
Greet

The Tuscan Home said...

What a darling idea! It looks amazing! Great job, Kathy! =) ~Liz

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

so neat Kathy! love it... I'm always saving interesting boxes for this or that...I'll have to look through my stash and try this.
thanks!
paula:)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

You clever girl! It looks fantastic.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Love all that damask! Very cute and creative project. Happy organizing in 2010!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Kathy - what a great idea! I love it. And the paper you used is so pretty!

XOX
Jen

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

What a great idea! Good use of a snow day!

Kati @ Housewife_Swagger said...

such a cute project!! You did great!!!

Gay Vaughan said...

My kind of girl! I love using something that most people, just throw out. Great work.

Angie said...

Love this idea! My scrapbook stickers are all jumbled in a drawer just waiting to be organized. Thanks for the inspiration!

Leanne said...

I love when you can use something you already have to get organized. It looks great. Happy New Year!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

What a fabulous idea! I love the shape of the box too - great find. I may have to change my brand of napkins to collect a few of these =) Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very cute and clever and organized to boot!

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Kathy this is so cute, so inexpensive and did I say cute? Love the papers you picked out! Good job!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Kathy --
I featured your project on my Friday Favorites and linked back to you. Such a good idea!

XOXO
Jen

Its So Very Cheri said...

Great idea Kathy--Love all the papers too.,

Cheri

Katie said...

Too cute, I saw this in your post on the cookie sheet and it instantly caught my eye. Thought you bought it until I noticed the linked within link to this post. Have been super sick the last week and am just now catching up on blog reading.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...