Friday, January 7, 2011

A Little Help, Before I Pull All The Gray Hairs Out!

I recently mentioned that I have been working on a keepsake box for my new granddaughter.  For the past 4 months!  I got stuck on how to finish the inside and that just jammed up the whole creativity flow for months.  I was hoping to show you the completed box sometime before my 5-month-old granddaughter turns 5-years-old!  I finally figured out what I wanted to do on the inside and I have another problem with it now.  So I’m coming to you, the most creative, clever and think-outside-of-the-box people I know!

IMG_6266_3382

This was what I started with.  A shoebox.  The lid just flips up {the gray part is the lid} and I thought this would be great for something like this.  So I painted it Heirloom White and applied some really cute papers and tapes to it.

IMG_7114_3789

I added flowers to the top and her name shortened in the heart and the word “keepsakes”.  I have since removed that “frame”, which was one of the baby shower cards that I cut to be a frame.  I wasn’t feeling that.  I also added a little tassel that my friend Tara from Just Devine Style had sent me.

IMG_6609_3584

Finally, a light bulb moment when I thought why not use some of the scrap fabrics I have on the inside and, on the inside of the lid, put a little batting and some ribbon or something so things could be tucked in.  Great!  Found some fabric that would work and went through all those little trim remnants I always buy.

DSC00194

DSC00196

DSC00199

DSC00200

Beautiful!  I loved it!  Except for one thing.  The lid won’t close.  If you are a Christian person reading this, you will be glad you weren’t sitting next to me at my craft table when that happened!

If I force it, the box is stressing where the lid is connected to the base.  Without starting all over, I am thinking the only thing I can really do  is remove the lid and find some kind of hinge to attach, keeping it so that the lid flips up.  That’s where you come in.  Ideas? Do you think the hinge idea would work?  If so, what kind would you use ~ one long one or two short?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

18 comments:

The French Bear said...

Kathy, it is just beautiful!! You can make a hinge out of fabric and cover it with trim.... She will love this special keepsake and treasure it forever!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

DIYbyDesign said...

You could probably make a "hinge" system using two short ribbons. It still wouldn't close all the way but it wouldn't fall off either. Maybe that would work. I've covered boxes with fabric and that's always the issue...closing it.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Oh, Kathy, the keepsake box is just beautiful!! I can see her filling with treasures and then one day going through it and lovingly remembering every single event that is represented by that treasure.

Been there, done that, I feel your anquish! I think hinges would work BUT I'm wondering how the durability of the box with the hinges. Probably will be just fine, just something to think about.

Can you remove the trim that is on the back of the box, not explaining it well, where the lid meets the bottom? That is probably the one that is causing most of the problem of not shutting. You could cover that part with a very thin strip of ribbon or something.

Or you could find a strip of wood or cardboard to make a back lip for the top so the top just slips on top of the bottom.

I'm sure others will have better solutions than mine but collectively we can solve your dilemna!!

xxoo

Ms. Bake-it said...

Kathy it is beautiful! Evalyse is going to love and treasure it! I wish I could make a suggestion, but I did not come up with anything different than the readers above.

~ Tracy

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, the keepsake box is absolutely beautiful and such a special gift from Grandma. I agree with what Judy suggested about using ribbon. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us with such a beautiful gift.

Enjoy your day,
Gail

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Kathy, this is so gorgeous!! What an heirloom! I think making the hinge out of ribbon or fabric is the best idea I can think of too...I have never made one so really, I am useless to you!

But I do love it!

Lou Cinda ;)

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Kathy that is so cute! You are too far along to give up! I think I'd got with the fabric or ribbon hinge idea:)
good luck girl!

One Cheap B*tch said...

What about a button and loop closure? Sure it'll have a bit of space but at least you don't have to smoosh or force it down?!

J

LouLou said...

Kathy, it's beautiful... I will say that as soon as I read this post I thought it MAY have something to do with some ruffle pants! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to do something similar for my boyfriend. He currently has a box that he keeps all of the cards and special gifts that I have given him in the past but the box is too small. This year for Valentines Day we decided to make each other gifts instead of buying them. My question to you is How did you get the fabric to stick in the box? Fabric Glue?

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi, Kathy,
I have no real suggestions to your dilemma BUT, that's a shoebox!!! What am amazing transformation! I'm sure your g'daughter will love it.

Please post your remedy to the problem. :)

Unknown said...

Well I think the initial creative road block paid off. It turned out great and will hold beautiful memories!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I hate when that happens! When all you get to the end of a project and the plan couldn't be fully executed as imagined. I haven't read the other suggestions above, so hopefully I'm not repeating, but maybe you could try removing the lid and reattaching it with book binding tape (I've even found it with the adhesive tape already adhered). It's strong and flexible and not as bulky as actual metal hinges. Then you could recover using your fabric. You can find book binding in colors too, so you could possibly coordinate with the paper and fabric you've chosen.

It's an adorable box that will be a wonderful keepsake for your sweet grand daughter.

Hope you can use one the suggestions to finish it up.

Heathahlee said...

I'm sorry I don't have anything to contribute to your dilemma, but it is really beautiful! : )

LuLu Kellogg said...

I would remove the top and go with the hinge! This box is beautiful!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

p.s. It's perfectly OK in my book to use colorful language when something like this happens :)

Melissa Miller said...

It's so pretty Kathy. I am so not crafty I'm not sure about the hinge. I'll bet it would work though.

Happy New Year sweet friend!
~Melissa :)

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

What a gorgeous gift! What about taking the off and just tying the top on the bottom with a pretty wide ribbon. Fasten the ribbon on the bottom of the box so it doesn't go missing. Making Memories used to make little metal hinges for papercrafting...but I haven't seen them in a while. I know the 7 Gypsies line of scrapbooking stuff has all sorts of metal fasteners, but I am not sure which would be best for this project. Angie xo

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

If the trim around the inside of the lid is the problem (it looks pretty thick), I would remove it and cover with ribbon. Maybe you could use the trim on the inside edge of the box instead?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...