Sunday, January 23, 2011

Redo Of A Redo

On my first trip to Goodwill ever, one of the items I found was this decorative urn/pot.  I didn’t keep a picture of it in its original state, but it was a white with some gold detailing.  I spray painted it black.

IMG_3269_1228

Hated it!  I put it on the side until I felt like spray painting it again and figured out what color to go with.  I finally decided today was the day and I went with Heirloom White {basically back to what it was when I bought it!}. 

DSC00440_0161

I used up my Michaels gift card today and was looking for some greenery while I was there.  I saw a Maidenhair Fern, but it was too green, not quite the right green.  Then I thought boxwood, but all they had was boxwood garland.  I bought it anyway  thinking I’d figure out a way to use it.  Kind of like the beauties I bought from Polly at Make Mine Beautiful, which I shared here.

DSC00439_0160

I snipped and placed pieces into some foam that I placed in the pot and I am kind of liking the way it turned out.  I still wasn’t crazy about the design on the pot, so taking another cue from Polly, I got some ribbon and hot glued it over the design.  It’s a pretty brown and cream color.

DSC00441_0162

And then, because it needed a little bit of bling, I pulled out this earring I had purchased at Goodwill.  These were clip-ons.  I snipped off the clip part and hot glued that to the part where the ribbon ends met.

DSC00443_0164

Ta Da! Done and I am liking it so much better.  I have also learned that not everything I get at Goodwill needs a paint job!

DSC00446_0167

DSC00444_0165

Linking up with:

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Boring to Better at Savvy Southern Style


Kathy

31 comments:

foreverdecorating said...

Just a great idea to embellish the pot. Too pretty!

Tina said...

I have an attic full of Goodwill and yard sale finds...you've given me some ideas! Thank you for sharing!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
I'd love for you to come over and pretty up all my flower pots and urns. You sure made this one pretty as can be.

hugs
Sissie

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

You did very well! Classy and "fancy" at the same. Thanks for sharing.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Perfect!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, I love your fancy urn with the bling!
Hugs,
Sherry

Nicole ~ said...

That looks great, I love the ribbon & the bling!

Nicole

Gail said...

I love the redo of the redo and love love love the bling you've added. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Super cute, Kathy! Love the new color and bling.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathy, that looks great fixed up with embellishments like that. I hope you will share this at my party this week, too.

One Cheap B*tch said...

I agree - looks much better white again. Where in the world are you spray painting? I've put most of my painting on hold b/c of this crazy weather and it's killing me!

J

Miss Obara said...

I've got a project like that too...a redo of a redo! Still debating. I like your pot in white much better!

Anonymous said...

I've been there - paint and repaint until you get it right. :-) I like it better white too. You did a great job arranging the boxwood in it too - it looks very natural.

Debra from Bungalow said...

SO pretty, love the added bling! :)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

You really dressed that darling shaped pot up. It is outstanding. I'll have to remember this technique. Thank you for swinging by to see the small hutch "makeover". hugs ~lynne~

Unknown said...

I think my studio has 4" of paint on it because I change my mind so much! But I think as designers we get ants in our pants when things stay the same. Turned out great!

Inspired by you said...

What a great way to dress it up!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love it! I like it in white and the greenery you chose is absolutely perfect! Love the ribbon! Angie xo

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

What a great looking plant and pot - love what you did, Kathy! Heirloom White is such a great color - I have 2 cans ready to go right now! Linda

Sherry said...

Your first trip ever to Goodwill! I had to read that twice to make sure I read it right. I love what you did and the bling is a great touch. That is a weak area for me so thanks for the inspiration. I think changing colors a couple of times is just a part of the creative process.

Anonymous said...

Love the beads...super cute!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh it is truly fabulous. Love the bling!

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, Kathy, I kept scrolling down and it just kept getting better and better!!! Of course, I love the harlequin background too! lol I love what you did with the urn--it is gorgeous!!!
XO

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

SHUT UP! This looks great!! How many times have I spray painted something black...only to paint it white! lol LOVE it!

I was wondering if you were still snowed in and came over to check it out and saw that you had posted.....we HATE snow! Supposed to get another "covering" tonight....2 to 4 inches predicted...in the South that is equivalent to a foot! lol

Lou Cinda

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

Too cute Kathy! What a change. Aren't you creative. I love the boxwood in it.
Kelly

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This is absolutely stunning. What a wonderful transformation. I love it. Hugs, Marty

Debbiedoos said...

Loves it...everything looks a little better with some bling on it!~ Nice job Kathy.

Pamela said...

Love this Kathy! Also loving your new empty frames! I always check for those at Michaels and HobLob.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathy, thanks so much for joining the party this week.

Heathahlee said...

I have that same ribbon! I love it but haven't found a good way to use it in my tassels yet.

Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Beautiful vase! Funny that you ended up painting it a similar color to what you started out with, ha ha! The bling is a fantastic idea! Love it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...