Thursday, January 20, 2011

Frilly, Feminine & Fabulous

When I was at Goodwill this past weekend, I did have a specific item {or items} I was looking for.  Amazingly enough I found exactly what I was looking for!

DSC00387_0109

Gorgeousness in tulle and cream!  The detail is just as lovely.

DSC00388_0110

Here is another one in white.  A satin and tulle confection!

DSC00391_0113

The skirts are what I’m really interested in.

DSC00392_0114

The last one.  Not as “fluffy”, but the right color and enough skirt.

DSC00389_0111

DSC00390_0112

If you’ve stuck with me this long, let me assure you that this is not turning into a fashion blog.  {Although, I do love that first dress and it just happens to be my size}!  Enter a plain, old decorator table that I have had stored in the basement.

DSC00393_0115

My daughter wants a “ruffley” table to use in the baby’s nursery area of their apartment.  I had the table.  A tablecloth like she envisions can cost a lot of money; store bought or custom. 

DSC00394_0116

And so, my outside-of-the-box idea was born. 

DSC00395_0117

This is the first dress pictured above.  Our favorite so far.  As the other two are white, I told my daughter we can work the two of them into a crib dust ruffle.

DSC00397_0119

Of course, a little cutting and sewing is involved {and some hot gluing and stapling, I’m sure}.  That lovely bodice will have to come off and will either be saved or reworked into a flat tabletop piece.  The little floral embellishment my daughter would like to work in.

DSC00398_0120

Fluffy and feminine!  All for $16.99 for a Nine West dress from  Goodwill.  Gotta love it!  I can’t wait to show it to you all done.

Kathy

28 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Absolutely wonderful, Kathy!!!! Hmmmmm, I have one of those tables underneath the guest bed!

I need to get to Goodwill. Haven't been there in weeks!

xxoo

Miss Obara said...

Wow! Out side of the box...is the place to be!

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Kathy that is so gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished but it's looking good as is even!

Carey said...

I was wondering what the dresses were for. I didn't even think table. I love what you did. So feminine and lovely.
Carey

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

What a great brain you have. This is such a great way to get an expensive look! Smart you are. Can't wait to see the finished product. I am sure it will be awe inspiring.

Blue Creek Home said...

Amazing! That is really just way too cute.
Rhonda

DIYbyDesign said...

What a great idea. I was a little concerned at first wondering what you were planning on doing with those dresses :). So ultra feminine...LOVE IT.

Pamela said...

I love the way your brain works. I would never have thought of that. You must get such joy out of frugal achievements. Especially since it's for your grandchild. I have a new one due next week.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh My Gosh!! I LOVE tulle tableskirts!! LOVE THEM!! I felt that I knew where you were going when I started reading this post and I was right! I cannot wait to see it done!!! I'm gonna want it!!

If I were you though, I would put that dress on and just wear it around the house before you have to cut it up!

Just sayin'

Lou Cinda

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, Kathy!! This is fantastic! And I mean that you could envision the whole thing! Get to your sewing room, I'm dying to see it all finished! ;-D

XO,
Jane

Gail said...

Kathy, this will be absolutely precious! I can't wait to see when you're done.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

Unknown said...

Kathy, You are amazing! I felt like I was on an adventure waiting to see what was to become of these dresses! Good mom! How beautiful! Elizabeth

LuLu Kellogg said...

You are one talented chickadee! I love this idea!

xoxo

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ooooh! Kathy, that's going to be so pretty and feminine!What a great idea!

SAS Interiors said...

Thinking outside of the box....now that's what it's all about!! Great ideas Kathy...can't wait to see the final look!

~Jenna, SAS Interiors
www.sasinteriors.net

One Cheap B*tch said...

Great thinking! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I really like the way the first one looked too!

J

Anonymous said...

What a sweet idea and I love the price! Will be fun to see how it turns out...

Pamela said...

hat is a super cool idea Kathy! I never would have thought abt that.

Junque Rethunque said...

what a great idea! I think it's a better thing to do with those dresses than actually WEAR them. :)

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love this idea so much . I really think it will turn out better than anything you could buy!! Please make that you share the nursery area when you are done as I am sure that it will be gorgeous!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

So pretty! What a great reuse idea!

Manuela

Heathahlee said...

Oooh, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, Kathy, pure genius!!! It turned out gorgeous....You are beyond comprehension how you come up with these ideas--stellar!!!
XO

Unknown said...

Wow-amazing-to actually go to GW with an idea of what you want and then of all things-find it! That's never happened before to me but I do love a trip there! Tha tablecover looks fab-can't wait to see the rest-I'm a new follower-come by for a visit!!-Claire

Decor To Adore said...

You are fabulously creative!

Ms. Bake-it said...

The table is going to be gorgeous! I cannot wait to see the final results! Did you take Lou Cinda's advice and wear the dress for a little bit first? ;)

~ Tracy

KimMalk said...

Hi Kathy, that is really fun and imaginative! That is going to be so pretty and floaty looking.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Hi honey
I loved seeing that someone else thinks like me. I did this last year on a bigger table like that with my old wedding dress. It made a beautiful table for the holidays
Love yours
Maggie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...