Monday, January 10, 2011

Time In A Bottle

I had purchased this bottle several months ago at Goodwill because I had liked the shape of it.  It took me awhile to come up with an idea for it, but I knew that I would use it for some project.

DSC00264

When inspiration hit, I gathered my supplies, printed out my images from The Graphics Fairy, found the sheet music online, and reused some Epsom Salts that worked as faux snow during Christmas.

DSC00262

I had this great shaped tag that I kept from a wine gift basket and used that as my base and template.

DSC00265

I chose the sheet music and title from the song “Time In A Bottle”, that classic Jim Croce hit, and built my theme around that.

DSC00267

After cutting the sheet music portion to the shape of the tag, I distressed it a little around the edges.  I also cut the song title from the top of the sheet music and did the same.

DSC00266

Using the clock images from The Graphics Fairy, I glued two of the same images back to back because I wasn’t sure how they were going to land once I stuck them in the bottle.  Using a black colored pencil I drew the hands of the clocks on each side and popped them into the bottle where I had already poured the Epsom Salts.

DSC00283

The clock faces each indicate the time each of my kids were born and I think the Epsom Salts gives the look of “the sands of time”.  A decorative accessory with meaning! 

Linking up to:

Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy

Kathy

21 comments:

Unknown said...

This would be perfect for the Linky I'm holding over at my blog!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

This is wonderful, Kathy!!!

xxoo

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Love the idea of the time representing the birth time of your kids. Super crafty!

Anonymous said...

This is so creative and just adorable! What a great way to use an old bottle!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Jennifer

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Kathy, that's a cute idea! What a lovely way to use that bottle.

Manuela

The Smith Hotel said...

Clever idea!


Jody

Molly Smith said...

Wow, Kathy. I had to scroll back up the make sure I read correctly that you found the original bottle at Goodwill. I love what you did with it, just gorgeous. (And I love, love the song, also :)

Thanks for sharing.

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, I love this idea! Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

Enjoy your evening,
Gail

Unknown said...

That's a great idea kathy! Love it! And this from a gal with a wall full of clocks.

Anonymous said...

really clever! Nice Job!

LuLu Kellogg said...

Kathy...I love this bottle and how you altered it and you have such a giving heart showing us how you did it! Thank you for sharing!

LuLu~*xoxo

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Kathy, very creative... and it's just adorable!!!
Daphne

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Oh, Kathy, you are so creative. Very thought out. I love it when so much time and effort is put into a project. It makes it all that more special. Love it, Love it, Love it.

cindy@stitches

kinga @ blueloom said...

What a great idea! Thanks for step by step tutorial.
Kinga

the cape on the corner said...

that's a great idea, and a great look! you know, the first time i heard that song i cried! what a sap!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to have the clocks set at your kids' time of birth! I think the Epsom salts look like sand too...

Sonny G said...

Kathy, you are so creative- truly you are.. I LOVE this project..

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Such a pretty project! Angie xo

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Gorgeous bottle, and I so love how you worked with it - especially the clock faces with your kids birth times. Very nice!

Becca Bertotti said...

Wow, what a great idea ... it turned out beautifully!

Ms. Bake-it said...

I love what you did with the bottle Kathy! Especially that the time reflects the birth time of each of your children. You put a lot of thought and love into this project.

~ Tracy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...