Friday, August 9, 2013

5 Decorating Tips That Won’t Bust Your Budget

You can decorate your home without breaking your budget just by shopping at thrift stores or garage sales.  Here are just a few ways that I’ve done just that in my own home.

DSC03711_3023

Hanging Dishes:  These dishes {above} I bought at Hobby Lobby, but I’ve seen many pretty dishes at thrift stores, estate sales, and garage sales that would be great for a project like this.  You can use dish hangers to display them or what I did {using a trick shared by Diane at In My Own Style}.  Using a large paper clip, bend it up as the hook, and hot glue what would be the base to the dish.  I’ve had mine on these plates for five years now without any problem.

SONY DSC

Add Fabric To A Cabinet Back:  This also applies to bookcase and china cabinet backs.  I did this shortly after moving into our new place two years ago.  Our new kitchen had one cabinet with glass doors and I decided to use it to display my white collection {picked up at thrift stores!}.  However, the back of the cabinet was very plain looking and did nothing for the white pieces.  I used what I had on hand, which was fabric, packing boxes, and shipping tape to put together pop-in backers for this cabinet.  Here is a “before” and “after”.

DSC03434_2832

 

SONY DSC

Calendar and Fabric Artwork:  You can find frames of all sizes and colors {and if you don’t like the color you can paint it}.  Calendar pages, fabric, wallpaper and scrapbook paper can look so pretty and add some interest to your walls without costing a lot of money.  You can use an old calendar {or a new one} and cut the images to fit your frames, like I did below.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Stores like Joann’s and Hobby Lobby {and most stores that carry fabric} have remnant bins or sections. You can find a beautiful fabric that might normally be out of reach budget-wise in a remnant and frame it up.  Here are a couple I found on Pinterest.

framed.fabric.paper

 framed.fabric

Start a Collection:    I decided to add tureens to one section of our kitchen cabinets after seeing how pretty and simple they looked at Kate’s Place.  I found most of mine at the thrift store and one at a garage sale.

SONY DSC

Cutting boards, decanters, mirrors, baskets, silver trays, and so many more items can be found easily and inexpensively to form a collection that you can display just about anywhere.

Paint It!:  Not only is paint the easiest way to transform a room, but also a piece of furniture or accessory.  You may even already have an existing piece of furniture that could do with a refresh and paint is a great way to go.  Here are a few pieces that I already had, or purchased inexpensively, and painted to get the look I wanted.

SONY DSC

DSC01570_1161

SONY DSC

These are just a few ways to decorate your home on a budget, but still get a personalized and pretty look. 

 

20 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

These are all fabulous ideas and you definitely are one of the most creative. I am always inspired by you. Hugs, Marty

Okio B Designs said...

Great ideas! I particularly like the paper clip tip. Never even thought of that.

Jeanine

Sonny G said...



Love this post Kathy.. I'll be using several of these tips n tricks as I go about redoing my own home. hopefully I'll be done before fall lol.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great ideas Kathy!...Have a wonderful weekend!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

So many pretty things! I love that corner in your living room Kathy...so pretty!

Cynthia said...

Beautiful post Kathy. We don't have good garage sales and thrift shops as many of you do. They are mostly filled with junk. We are finally getting a JoAnn's in the fall that is very close. Excited about that. I use Etsy the most for stuff now and Home Goods.

Cynthia

This N That said...

Love the collages and the fabric in the hutch..food for thought..

NanaDiana said...

Those are all really cute ideas, Kathy! bj over at Sweet Nothings would love that little checkered table. xo Diana

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Oh, yes, you can do a lot without spending a lot. Bargain hunting is in my blood. Lots of great ideas here.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Kathy, Great ideas and I especially love the fabric in your hutch. Have a great weekend!
xx,
Sherry

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Those are all great tips, Kathy. I especially love to use paint to refurbish all sorts of things. :)

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love your ideas!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those are all great tips Kathy! I think I do all of them :)

farmhouse-story said...

you clever girl--thanks for the paper clip idea--love it! great tips, kathy:)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Kathy,
You always have the best creative and decorative ideas. I just love coming here to see what you have new to show us. I'm so glad to have you as a blog friend. You always inspire me!

I loved seeing your post about Haven, I'd love to go one day...maybe next year.

Hugs,
Sissie

Unknown said...

Well that was perfect timing! I was just wondering if hot glue would stick to the back of plates. I have a couple to hang and I'm too lazy (yes, I admit it) to go buy hangers. Besides, why pay the extra money!...LOVE your new profile pic.! Heather and I need a new one sooooo bad. :)

Pamela said...

All wonderful tips Kathy!

Unknown said...

Great tips, Kathy! Love your black and white pieces!!~~Angela

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

These are such good ideas! I want to do the fabric on the back of a book shelf in my living room. I think it would add a little pop of color...but nothing permanent that I can't change. Loved this post!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you always have the best ideas! Thanks for sharing these! I love your living room and all the black and white accents! Your vignettes are fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...