Monday, August 12, 2013

Pretty Frame Makeover

SONY DSC

I found this pretty frame at a garage sale recently and decided to use it to make a magnetic memo board. 

2013 07 28_2098

I have a few memo boards at my booth, but not magnetic, so I thought it would make a nice change.  I also have two chalkboards there, too, so we’ll see how a magnetic one does.  I took the picture out and painted the frame black using Maison Blanche Wrought Iron.  Using some wax gave it a bit of a sheen.

2013 08 06_2125

Prior to waxing, I distressed it a little bit along the detailed area to allow some of the original color to show through.

2013 08 07_2141

I then covered my metal piece with this black and white toile I bought from fabric.com, using a heavy duty spray adhesive, and popped it into place.

2013 08 07_2139

I use this fitting tool that I bought several years ago to put those “divet” pieces to hold the metal in place in the frame.  It has also come in handy for other framing projects that I’ve done.  

2013 08 07_2144

A perfect piece for a desk area, craft or sewing room, kitchen, anywhere you want something pretty to hold some notes and reminders.

2013 08 07_2142

Now that it’s done I want to keep it! 

2013 08 07_2138

Linking up with

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Be Inspired at Common Ground

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

26 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh it is really pretty, I like this one a lot. Great fabric and frame. Thanks also for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It's beautiful, Kathy! You did a great job! Hugs,Julia

Unknown said...

That is so pretty and I never would have guessed it was a magnetic board. It's the prettiest one I've ever seen! If you don't keep it in sure someone will buy it right away! It would really liven up a college dorm. Wishing you a great week!
Elizabeth @ Blue Clear Sky

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

I love the black frame and the distressing that you did. The fabric is perfect! I have a piece of steel from my old job along with all the stuff to make a message board but I just haven't had the time to make it. Your post has inspired me! Maybe I'll finally start working on it today. ~ Jamie

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

AWESOME job- love love love this, Kathy!

If you do keep it I cannot blame you - but if you do put it in your shop it will sell fast, esp with early Christmas shoppers th inking ahead!

Have a great week.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Kathy. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my summer rain post...love that porch swing! :) I love your magnetic board; I want to make a big one for our kitchen, so the timing of this was great. Any tips on the sheet metal to buy? Thanks for stopping by; it's always nice to hear from you. ~Zuni

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Kathy,
How pretty did this come out?!! I love this. Great job.
Kris

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That looks so great, Kathy! I love toile and think black and white is especially stunning.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Kathy, This turned out really pretty! Love the toile.
Hugs,
Sherry

DIYbyDesign said...

This is so pretty. I love what you did with the frame.

Judy said...

Kathy, what a pretty idea! I love it. You've given me some ideas for frames I have piled up in my basement. Your frame treatment and fabric choice are gorgeous!

Cynthia said...

Kathy this is so pretty and my favorite fabric toile!!! This should sell in no time. Beautiful job.

Cynthia

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love it! The black frame with the black toile is just stunning!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this tool before! Wow, it would really save time and make framing easier! Your frame is so cute now- a big improvement!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Very pretty Kathy. I love all toile fabric and the b&w is a favorite.
Love that tool you used too.

hugs
Sissie

Okio B Designs said...

Very pretty! You should keep it. And make me one - lol! =)

Jeanine

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kathy, this is so pretty! I love the black and white toile. I can see why you want to keep it. It's beautiful!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Ooh, I likey! :) I'm glad you mentioned the framing tool- I have been using glazing points, but they sometimes stick up past the back of the frame. I need one of these!

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

The fabric is perfect for the frame! It is so beautiful.

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

That just might be a keeper! LOVE it! Life to the full! Melissa

Createology said...

This is a very elegant way to keep those bits of paper tidy and handy. Beautifully created. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

sheerserendipity said...

Kathy, this is such beautiful transformation of the frame. Great job!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kathy,
I really like this idea!! I have a yellow and gray toile fabric somewhere that I could use for something like this!!
Thanks so much for the inspiration and thanks for always stopping by!
Hugs,
Debbie

Little Miss Maggie said...

Thanks for this post, Kathy. I always wondered how they got those little metal pieces to hold the glass and print in place and now I know. I don't blame you for wanting to keep the memo board. Black and toile are one of my favorite combos. This looks great.

One More Time Events said...

This turned out just beautiful love the print with the frame...would love it if you came by and shared it at One More Time Events....http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/08/share-it-one-more-time-features-and_10.html
Tammy

Unknown said...

Great idea! And it looks fabulous! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...