Friday, August 23, 2013

A Pair Of Chairs With Flair

On the day I chose to hit garage sales last week, I found these chairs at my last stop and had just enough money left to purchase two of them.  For $5.00 each, I knew I could fix these up to sell in my booth and I wouldn’t even have to paint them!

2013 08 08_2145

They were already black but a little dirty and the fabric had seen better days.

2013 08 08_2146

I took the seat off and removed all the fabric and batting so I could start from scratch.  I also wiped the chairs themselves down very well with Chlorox wipes.

SONY DSC

One of the chairs had 7 ~ yes, 7 ~ layers of fabric stapled to it!  I’m not above stapling new fabric over old chairs myself, but seriously, after two layers you gotta remove at least one!

SONY DSC

I decided to use some fabric I bought recently from Décor Steals ~ the grain sack fabric they have available every so often. I had splurged and bought three colors and, of the three, decided the tan and black stripe would suit these chairs best.

SONY DSC

After adding some new batting, I stapled the fabric to the seats and then reattached them to the chair.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

A great way to get a new look, just by changing out the fabric! 

SONY DSC

This is the first project I’ve used this fabric on and I really like it.  I’m thinking some pillows and Christmas stockings with it next.

28 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love them, how fun, the seats are wonderful. Great idea. Hugs, marty

Andrea said...

Cute! They turned out great

Anonymous said...

These look fantastic! I have run into the same thing with multiple layers of fabric on the chairs. I try to take off as much as I can too. It's a huge job! I love your choice of fabric! These are charming now!

Haddock said...

They look grand and elegant.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

They look great!! I love the look of that fabric.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Wow! What a difference, Kathy! You surely classed them up! And thanks for the tipe on Decor Steals! ~Zuni

JP said...

Great find, Kathy and a wonderful finish with the fabric you chose....they will sell quickly, I'm sure!

Unknown said...

I really like how you placed the stripes different on each chair, I love things that match but aren't the same! I hope somebody buys them as a set :)

Cynthia said...

Oh Kathy these are great and I really like the fabric!!

Cynthia

This N That said...

I redid my DR and Kitchen chairs so often there was almost no more wood for the staples to grab on to..Cute fabric

Okio B Designs said...

Oh they look so pretty now! I can't believe you had to remove that much fabric. Ick! The things we have to do in the name of crafting. =)

Jeanine

Sonny G said...



very pretty indeed.. those will sell in no time. folks are gonna love them.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Easy and nice makeover with the chairs.
Nice duck finds!!!
Warmly,
deb

Patty Rumaker said...

They are lovely. Crazy how many layers they had on there - well at least they should have been soft. LOL!
Thanks, Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Gorgeous! You are so going to cash in on these! I love that fabric

Carol

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

love the chairs and the fabric.I wish you lived in AUstralia as these lovelys would be going to live with me-love dee x

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

You lucky lady- no need to paint and great price, too! I swear, we must be related- I bought the same fabric (in the blue stripe), but haven't used it yet.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kathy they look great...LOVE that fabric!

Unknown said...

I like that fabric too! A huge change. I can't believe anyone could have stapled through that many layers. How funny.

Our Hopeful Home said...

I can't believe how many layers there were! You're much more patient than I am! Your final product looks gorgeous, like they were made to have that fabric on them. Great job.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

The chairs look great! Looking forward to seeing your future projects with that fabric.

Rita said...

your chairs are stunning. love the color and the grain sack fabric you chose if perfect.
rita

Gail said...

They look great Kathy! I love the fabric. Enjoy your weekend, Gail

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love the way they turned out! I saw that fabric and was thinking about it but didn't get it. I'm always hesitant about buying fabric on line. I've had a few bad surprises. But since you like it, I'll take a second look next time they offer it.

Laura Turner said...

These look FANTASTIC!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Perfect simplicity! Have a great weekend

pam {simple details} said...

Love your cute chairs, the fabric looks perfect with the black!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love those chairs Kathy...great job!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...