Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Shutters In The Guest Room

SONY DSC

And I’m not talking about on the windows!  I found these shutters at a recent estate sale for $2.00.  Of course, dummy me, I should have bought a few sets even if I just sold them in my booth. 

SONY DSC

I picked out a set of white {they had white and yellow} to save me some time on painting them.  When I got them home I took them apart, removed the hinges, and washed them down.

SONY DSC

I found a set of wood embellishments in my craft room.  I try and pick up a couple when I’m buying them for a project so I have something on hand.  A package of two was $1.99.

SONY DSC

I painted the embellishments white with craft paint, added a glaze of brown craft paint and water, glued them to the top of the shutters with wood glue, and, once they dried, I hung them up in my guest bedroom over the nightstands. 

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

These are a bit narrow, but if I find the new mirror I have pictured in my head for the dining area, two of the three I have in the dining area now will be painted white and moved in here.  Then I will move the shutters into the master bedroom over our night tables, where I think the narrowness will work better.  So, it all works out.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I hung them with the open/close control piece to the back and where the slats can hold things like pictures.  I stuck pictures from my son’s college graduation in June in so you can get the idea.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I think it adds a little interest to this wall.  It is also making me think about getting the black armoire in here painted already.  I’ve put it off way too long now and I know I am procrastinating about it, because it will be an all day affair.

SONY DSC

Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a wreath from Balsam Hill!  Going on now until August 30th!

Linking up with

Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

28 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I love shutters used anyhow, anywhere. That is a really cute idea for them. xo Diana

Art and Sand said...

Those shutters are so cute. I have been looking for some even though I have no idea what I would do with them.

Our Hopeful Home said...

Nice job! I scored some for free and will use for jewelry display at my upcoming show. Love what you did with them!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Your shutters look EXCELLENT - fills the wall with light and are just perfect for that lovely room.

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..........lol.

Debbiedoos said...

Love them and so nice that you hung some photos there too.

must love junk said...

I love your shutters (what a steal!) Your whole room looks just gorgeous!
Susan

Debra@CommonGround said...

these are perfect. love the bedroom!!

Okio B Designs said...

They look great! Love the idea of sticking photos in the slots.

Jeanine

Unknown said...

So cute! I love the way they look. I haven't found any for my living room yet. I haven't really had time to search yet.
I love the little added pretties.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

They look fantastic. Yes, my dear, why didn't you buy more?

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

That is so cute! And the price was sure right...visiting from Blissful Whites Wed.

Hugs,
Judy

Revi said...

What a pretty bedroom!
-Revi

Connie said...

Your shutters are so pretty, I love the way you embellished them. I really like the idea of the photos and was thinking how they would look wonderful over the mantel at Christmas filled with Christmas cards.
Your room is beautiful.
Have a great week.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Blondie's Journal said...

What a great deal, Kathy, and I love the embellishment, especially the darker paint. They look perfect here. I'd love to do something like this with shutters but I can just imagine hubby scratching his head! ;-)

Just wondering...do you remember the color and brand of paint you used in this room...I just love it.

XO,
Jane

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kathy,
Love what you did with the shutters!! Very Pretty!!

Hugs,
Deb

Anonymous said...

The shutters look so pretty! I love the headboard too!

Kathy

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Your guest bedroom is beautiful, Kathy. If I were your guest, I wouldn't wanna leave. The shutters are wonderful and were such a great deal. Good idea to add those wood embellishments. That makes them extra special.
Hugs,
Julia

Unknown said...

Great idea for using your shutters! I like the embellishment you added. They look wonderful in your guest room!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The shutters look great over the night stands. I love adding architectural interest to a room.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I love these shutters! They look wonderful in your guest bedroom! I love the idea of placing photos in them too! The embellishments are a fantastic touch!

Cynthia said...

Kathy, what a great find and price!!! I love what you did. I keep those wood appliques on hand too.

Cynthia

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The shutters look wonderful in the room and I love the way you embellished them!...Such a great find Kathy!

This N That said...

What a cute idea..looks great

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Ok, girlie, you got a fantastic deal on those shutters. :) And I love the idea of hanging them over the night stands. Now I'll have to be on the lookout for some.

Little Miss Maggie said...

I love your photo display idea. The shutters are a great addition especially with the embellishments.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love them especially with the little architectural element added!

Unknown said...

Great idea with the shutters.But it is that blue lampshade feather cutie that i like !:)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, especially with the little scroll detail added to them. I found 2 really long ones by the side of the road recently and I grabbed them! My husband and son thought I was absolutely nutso but eventually I'll come up with a plan to put them somewhere! Your post has inspired me, although I need to paint mine white (they're currently a grotty mauve).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...