Monday, August 19, 2013

Refreshed Magazine Holder

I found this rather tired looking magazine holder at a garage sale and felt it had some potential.  For $3.00 I felt that it was worth giving a go.

SONY DSC

I wanted to try and doing something similar to one I found a year or so ago and kept for myself.  You can see that before and after here, but below is a picture of the after.

DSC07469_6522

I decided to use a satin black that I already had {and which is probably what I used on the one above}. Once painted, it was already looking better. 

SONY DSC

I ordered a couple of stencils off Etsy {from Artistic Stencils} and decided on this one.  Although, due to the length of the stencil, I’m going to use it slightly different than how it is laid out.

SONY DSC

I used a foam roller and white craft paint.  I used painter’s tape to hold the stencil in place.

SONY DSC

My way of utilizing the full design of the stencil was to put the crown up at the top, since it wouldn’t have fit as originally laid out.  I was determined to fit the crown on there somehow! This is a great way to mix up your stencils, too.

SONY DSC

A new look for a tired, old piece!  Off to the booth it goes!

SONY DSC

Linking up with

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Redoux Link Party

 

23 comments:

Betty said...

I love your idea. I have been trying to find me something like that to put my magazines in and have found no luck. Now I will be trying to find something like that so I can make one. Thanks so much for sharing.

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Great makeover again, Kathy. It's a wonderful piece now.
Have a lovely week! Hugs, Julia

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love it, It looks so pretty and the Paris is pefect. You are so good at redoing all of your projects. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

It's adorable, Kathy- I love it. That's a great stencil.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Another amazing re-do- Kathy you are so full of talent!

And, well, the way you did the stencil looks soooo much better!

Well done, ma'am. That will sell fast!

Have a wonderful week.

after better said...

I love that kind of change! :)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

It's not tired looking anymore.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very very cute! Like it so much better now.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Super cute makeover Kathy! You certainly brought that piece back to life!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kathy, you did a great job! The stencil looks great! It doesn't even look like the same magazine holder.

Unknown said...

Great!! I love it! I pinned it so I can copy it later!! ha ha!
Thanks for the idea!
Faye

Anonymous said...

Great score! Wow, you turned this piece into a jewel- love the stencil!

Createology said...

Wow! Tres Chic and very beautiful. Lovely transformation...

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Looks great Kathy!

This N That said...

Looks great..much better than white

NanaDiana said...

GREAT makeover- it is soooo much better! xo Diana

Jane said...

Great job! Love the stencil!
Jane

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is so cute!

Okio B Designs said...

Gorgeous makeover! I see those racks everywhere. I just can't seem to get myself to buy one. Is it tough getting the paint inside?

Jeanine

Connie said...

I love it. I picked one of these up at a yard sale and few years ago, and still haven't done anything with it. Thanks for the inspiration.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Just darling the way this old piece came to life with paint and lettering.
Could you do this kind of stenciling on pillows. I am making pillows with my sister-in-law and we have been dying to do some lettering on pillows but not sure the best way.
Hope your having a great week.
Love
Maggie

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Beautiful makeover Kathy...maybe I need to order some of their stencils. Thanks for sharing at my party.

Blessings,
Linda

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

LOVE your makeover! So tres chic! Nice stencil, looks so professional.

Blessings, Edie Marie

Found you on Coastal Charm's Tuesday party

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...