Thursday, May 20, 2010

Let’s Do It For Less

You know how some magazines do a “we found it for less” piece?  I thought we’d try it here, especially since I found yet another place that carries similar pieces to what I’ve come to think of as my dream office furniture.  If this seems like something you all like, maybe I’ll do one every once in awhile.

Find It For Less!

So let’s start with the expensive stuff.  This is the desk from Ballard Designs that I love.  And don’t get me wrong ~ I absolutely love Ballard Designs.  If I ever won the lottery I’d redo my whole house from them!  The price on this lovely number is $899.00, plus shipping, plus an additional $20.00 for “threshold delivery”.  There is a note to download the directions for assembly.  I know.  At that price it should be assembled and come with someone to pull your chair out.

desk.ballard

Ballard Designs

Here’s the bookcase; $599.00, plus shipping, plus $45.00 “threshold delivery” {and I believe you have to download the instructions to assemble this, too}.

bookcase.ballard

Ballard Designs

Of course, it’s an office, so you need a filing cabinet.  This one goes with the set and is $549.00, plus shipping, plus $70.00 for a “threshold delivery”.

filecabinet.ballard

Ballard Designs

Okay, so now that we’ve established that you did not win the lottery, let’s move on to the next price point down.  Similar desk from Home Decorators Collection; cost $199.00, plus shipping of 13% of the order, and assembly is required.

desk.homedecorators

Home Decorators Collection

The bookcase is a bit different from Ballard’s, but still similar, and is $329.00.  Just like the desk, it’s 13% of the order price for shipping, and assembly is required.

bookcase.homedecorators

Home Decorators

This set doesn’t have a file cabinet that goes with it, so I found something as similar to the Ballard’s one as they had.  It is $199.00, plus 13% of the price for shipping, plus $20.00 freight charge.  As seems to be the norm, assembly is required.

filecabinet.homedecoratorsHome Decorators 

The last set I saw that looked very much like the Ballard inspiration pieces was at Target.  All I will say here is to make sure you read the reviews.  I base my purchases on how the reviews lean.  Here is the desk at $149.99, ships free with a “qualifying order over $50.00”, and assembly is required.

desk.target

Target

The matching bookcase {which I have to say looks exactly like the Home Decorators Collection bookcase} for $199.99, ships free with a “qualifying order over $50.00”, and assembly is required.

bookcase.target

Target

Finally, a filing cabinet.  Target didn’t have anything very close to either the Ballard or Home Decorators cabinets, but I went with something in black and about the same size.  This cabinet costs $249.99, which is  more expensive than the Home Decorators cabinet.  A little disappointing there.

filecabinet.target

Target

Three different price points from three different sources.  I still like the original pieces from Ballard Designs, but who knows, I may find something totally different that I like once the time comes to actually buy one!

Don’t forget to enter my CSN Giveaway!  It ends Friday, May 21st at 8:00 p.m. EST, so there is still time!

Just a note: I’ll be around sporadically posting and commenting over the next couple of weeks.  I’m working with two clients at the moment!  Very happy about pursuing my passion.  One of them even found me through my blog and told me that was why she called me. I was very happy to hear that! {Hi R.M.!}  Two very different projects going, but I’m always excited about each one.   

9 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Congratulations, Kathy!!! I'm so happy for you!!

I love Ballard Designs too but they are way out of my price range! The desk I have my sewing machine on and the shelf above it were Target purchases (assembly required) but I am very pleased with them.

Now did you find a similiar chair somewhere?! I'm still on the hunt for one . . . hoping HG's gets one in that I like, I'm dying to spending my gift certificate, LOL

xxoo

One Cheap B*tch said...

Congrats on the clients!!!!! You are right - for the BD prices, I'd need someone to massage my feet too. LOL!

J

Silver Strands said...

Wow Kathy - glad I found you. I LOVE "do it for less" projects. I especially love the exact match of the bookshelf that you found at Target. Hope you're having a good day!
xoxooxx
Denalee

Melissa Miller said...

Kathy that is wonderful about your new clients. Fantastic! I too enjoy Ballards designs. Lovely! :)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
I'm so glad for you that you have two new clients. I know you must be excited. I can't think of any other designer that I'd rather have than you!

You have given us some good comparisons on price and similarities.

I can not believe that you have to put together the Ballards either!

I hope that you will get to show us your projects with your client's permission. We bloggers are nosey, you know.

hugs
Sissie

Tracy Watier said...

Good eye, Kathy. While I like the more expensive Ballard desk best (or course), I do like the Target bookcase better than the Ballard. So I'd save myself a little cash, just not the whole bundle.
Congrats on your new projects! Good luck and have fun!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Kathy, I'm so glad that I stopped by. I love your post on finding it for less and having you do the legwork for us is just icing on the cake, Thanks. Nice choices I could also furnish my whole house from Ballards. They carry the greatest decor.

Congrats on the new projects and enjoy yourself. Thanks for stopping by I look forward to your comments.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Jane B. said...

Kathy, these are great finds! And so similar to the Ballard versions. Thanks for the heads up...I'm always looking for great design finds...for less!!

Jane
FF

Roeshel said...

Great feature and awesome finds!

Have fun with your clients! So cool that your blog led you to one! :)

Have a great week!
Roeshel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...