Monday, May 17, 2010

Outdoor Lighting Ideas

I have plenty of candles and hurricanes for using outdoors during the summer months, but I always love to see what’s new and colorful.  I found a few items that caught my eye from Pier 1 and Pottery Barn and thought I’d share. 

outdoorlighting.pier6

Pier 1

Of course, you can use these items for inspiration and make up your own from thrift store, yard sale or your own basement finds.  I’ve got a chandelier {or candelier in this case} on my thrifty finds wish list to put tapers in and hang from my gazebo roof.

candelier

Photo courtesy of annsage.com

So many different styles and colors to choose from!

outdoorlighting.stake.pier1 Pier 1

Don’t forget a stake or shepherd’s hook to hold some of these pretties in areas where you don’t think you could hang a lantern or candleholder. 

outdoorlighting.pier5Pier 1

I would love to hang some of these from the tree branches in my yard ~ bring some candlelight to those further away and darker areas at night.  More pretties!

outdoorlighting.pier1 outdoorlighting.pier2outdoorlighting.pier3

Not to forget tablescaping either, for all those BBQ’s and family get-togethers.

outdoorlighting.pier4{All of the above pictures from Pier 1}  

outdoorlighting.pb.2outdoorlighting.pb.3 outdoorlighting.pb.4outdoorlighting.pb

{Above photos from Pottery Barn}

The best part is that both of these stores have their outdoor lighting on sale right now!  So, if you’re going to buy new, now is the time to do it!  I know with the creative talent out there, many of you can transform your found items into something just as nice {if not better, in some cases}.

Don’t forget to enter my Cottage Charm Giveaway, which runs until May 29th and the CSN Giveaway, which runs until May 21st!

 

22 comments:

Design Esquire said...

I love lanterns, and you certainly found gorgeous examples!

Christina said...

Those are all great! I just love candle light especially on a warm summer night!

Blue Creek Home said...

I love the idea of the candolier for your gazebo! I have always loved that look.

I love lanterns too...indoors and out. I didn't realize that they were on sale now, not that I need more, but no harm in looking, right?!!
Rhonda

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh, I love candles and lanterns out on the patio!! Very romantic.

Thanks for stopping by and entering my Cottage Charm giveway! Good luck to you!

Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi Kathy!
I am so glad to be home so I can once again see what everyone's up to!
I found 16 shepherd's hooks the other day at the Dollar Tree- they are copper and were 2/1.00 each- this post got me to thinking... cuz I was going to use them in the garden to hold signs of the plant/veggie names, but now, maybe I will find small jars and some copper wire and make hanging lights...thanks for the idea!
I may have to just guess what the plants are ;)
Hugs, Leslie

Angie said...

Love these great ideas!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I've been seeing this all over the place and they are great!!!

I may have to breakdown and pick up a few but what to put in them as I don't burn candles . . . not because I don't like them, it's just since Richard's parent's house burned down I've been overly cautious!

(I know I know I bought that 12 votive candle thing, LOL, but when the lights go out it's always good for emergencies, LOL)

xxoo

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What wonderful inspiration photos! I need to find some lanterns for my back patio...I've been hunting and haven't found exactly what I want yet!

I love the idea of hanging them from a hook!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for sharing the inspration. Don't you just love outdoor lighting? I have some old railroad lanterns, your post may have given me a few ideals.
Sandy

Moore Minutes said...

This post was just what I have been looking for. You have a lot of excellent ideas on here. :) Lanterns are so romantic and fun.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I'm drawn to the red and green styles from Pier 1, they would create a festive look in an outdoor space...but I'd take any. I am just so happy warmer weather is here!!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Great lanterns, thier very pretty!!! I'm headed over to check out your giveaway!!! Blessings~~~Daphne

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Kathy,
Great post and a good reminder to me to freshen up my outdoor lighting and get a few more (can't have too many!). I love your choices and those little cuties in the bottom photo are my fave.

Hope you are enjoying some nice spring weather. We are finally getting a nice, warm day and I am heading out to paint my deck!
Have a great week,
Linda

Kim said...

Such great eye candy Kathy! I've always loved Pier 1 and these days they have so many amazing things it's almost overwhelming!
xoxo,
Kim

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
I love lanterns and candleliers! There is nothing prettier at night than the glow of soft light and the cool summer breeze.

hugs
Sissie

Tracy Watier said...

Pretty choices, Kathy. Good idea to use a shepherd's hook too - I do that! I'm still kicking myself over a pair of lanterns I passed up at Marshalls recently. Big and hefty and only $15 apiece. What was I thinking?!

Maria Killam said...

I have a lantern that needs some TLC. Love them too!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Oh, I love that picture of the big wood table with the metal chairs. Looks kind of heavy to be dragging out of bad weather though.
Good time to look for sales on summer goodies you are so right!
Donna

Room to Inspire said...

I just love outdoor lighting - about a year ago I picked up just enough lanterns at Ikea to hang around our umbrella and I just love lighting them on a warm Summer night! Oh, I just love the Summer!

Chelsea

Averill said...

Ooh I love some of these, especially the Moorish ones from Pier1. I can't wait to get my yard whipped into shape this summer so I can indulge in some of these lovelies.

Heathahlee said...

I LOVE those top lanterns! The colors are just gorgeous!

I've wanted to make some hanging Mason jar lantern/candle holders for a while. Those would look pretty outside, too.

home decor said...

Candles are great part of any home decor. I prefer lights in the shape of candles more. I think that is a great looking complement for indoor lightning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...